Lamb Souvlaki – the best lamb you will ever eat. Learn to make this popular Greek dish. Marinated lamb, skewered and grilled. Perfection!
This recipe is for the true meat lover. Or not! Let me start by saying that I don’t really like lamb.
Seriously! Until I made this lamb souvlaki! I. Love. This. Lamb. What’s so special about this lamb, you ask? It’s simple. I marinated this lamb in this totally greek marinade for 24 hours. I love greek flavors, so my marinade was simple, olive oil, lots of fresh lemon juice, salt, pepper, oregano, garlic, onion and a little bit of Emeril’s Essence. Well after 24 hours, the meat was infused with these flavors. I then put the meat on the skewers and we grilled the skewers.
The lamb literally melts in your mouth. It’s lemony, it’s garlicky, it’s so delicious. The reason I don’t like lamb is because of the smell, but trust me when I say that after 24 hours the smell was gone and all I could smell was the wonderful smell of the lemon, oregano and garlic from the marinade. This lamb is delicious in a gyro, or just by itself with some yummy tzatziki sauce. We made lamb souvlaki pizza with tzatziki sauce which you will see in of my next posts, so stay tuned to see the most delicious pizza ever.
Looking for more recipes? Follow on...
- 2 lbs lamb trimmed of fat and cut into 1 inch pieces
- juice from 2 lemons
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 medium onion minced
- 1 tsp <a href="http://www.jocooks.com/other/emerils-essence/">Emeril's Essence</a>
- In a big bowl, mix together the olive oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper, oregano, garlic and onion. Place the cut meat in the bowl and toss together so that the meat is fully covered in the marinade. Cover and chill for at least 2 hours and up to 24 hours. Thread the meat onto metal or bamboo skewers.
- Grill the skewered meat until brown on all sides.
- Serve with pita bread.