This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Finally my kitchen is beginning to make some sense and we’re slowly unpacking all the boxes. This makes me happy. I know where things are now, I can cook!
So I cooked. Mind you I started with an easy recipe such as this oyster sauce chicken with peppers and snow peas, but today I will bake. Today, I will make that kitchen mine!
I had a vision. A vision of a nice chicken stir fry kind of dish. We were both getting tired eating out and take out over the past week, so this was such a welcomed meal. A home cooked meal. Even if I had screwed it up, it would have been delicious, which I did not, mind you.
Did I tell you what else I love about this house? Sorry this has nothing to do with this recipe, but I have to share this with you. It’s the air conditioner! When we moved to Calgary everyone was telling us, you don’t need an AC here, if you do it’d only be for 2 weeks of the year. Well it’s more like 2 months, but if it happens you move during those 2 months and you have to unpack, trust me when I say but the AC is a God send.
Anyway enough babbling on, back to this dish. This recipe calls for oyster sauce, now if you’ve never cooked with oyster sauce, you can find it in the Asian isle in your grocery store. Oyster sauce is made from sugar, salt and water thickened with cornstarch and oyster essence for flavoring. You’ll love it! The rest of the ingredients are fairly simple, chicken, peppers, snow peas and onions. It’s an easy meal that you can make any night of the week.
Looking for more recipes? Follow on...
Oyster Sauce Chicken
- 3 chicken breasts boneless, skinless, cut into small strips
- 1/2 red bell pepper sliced
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper sliced
- 1 cup snow peas a handful, ends trimmed
- 1 onion sliced
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp oyster sauce
- 2 tbsp garlic and ginger paste if you don't have this, fresh garlic and ginger work
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup water
- basil for garnish
- In a large bowl mix together 2 tbsp of the olive oil, the oyster sauce, garlic and ginger paste, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar and salt and pepper. Take half of the mixture and pour into a smaller bowl. Add the water to the smaller bowl, mix and set aside.
- Add the chicken pieces to the larger bowl and toss the chicken around so that each piece is coated in the mixture. Let it sit and marinate for about 10 minutes.
- In a large skillet, heat the remaining 1 tbsp of olive oil. Add chicken pieces to it and cook until the chicken is cooked through and it starts to slowly brown. Remove chicken from skillet and set aside.
- Add onion to the same skillet and fry, add additional oil if needed to the skillet. Once the onion is translucent, add the peppers and snow peas and the oyster sauce. Stir and cook for a couple minutes, the sauce will begin to thicken. Add the chicken to the skillet and toss everything together.
- Serve over rice and garnish with basil.