Last updated on May 30th, 2018 at 06:04 pm
This Beef Broccoli Noodle Stir Fry is easy to make, tasty and everyone’s favorite! Ready in a matter of minutes, this flavorful dish packs a punch!
If you know me at all, you’ll know that I love oodles of noodles and it’s really my go to meal whenever time is of an issue and need dinner quickly. As much as my husband hates noodles, he will still put up with my noodle obsession, but I usually will make him something sans noodles and keep them all to myself. But this beef broccoli noodle stir fry isn’t really about the noodles, it’s really about the beef and broccoli.
Beef broccoli really is my favorite dish that I always order when we go to our local Chinese restaurant. There’s something about that thinly sliced beef that’s full of flavor that I really love. Sometimes however, I would rather make this myself because it really is faster than ordering take out, and it tastes so much better, plus you know what you put into it and you can load it with veggies and oodles of noodles. Which is what I did here.
I love shiitake mushrooms because they’re so meaty and have a nice earthy and smoky flavor, plus they’re perfect in a stir fry, which is why I chose them here. Then I loaded this dish with loads of broccoli because hello, it’s beef broccoli, but for some color I added some red pepper. Look how gorgeous it looks, because your food should look pretty, not only taste good.
The flank steak is perfect in this dish because it cooks quickly on high heat and it’s a great lean meat. For this dish you have to cut it thinly and my tip for easily cutting this piece of meat nice and thin is to cut it while it’s still a bit frozen, makes it so much easier. If you buy it fresh, put it in the freezer for a bit just so that it is firmer to the touch. Of course you’ll also need a nice sharp knife.
The other ingredient used in this dish that I don’t use often enough is oyster sauce. Oyster sauce is a very dark sauce made from sugar, salt and thickened with cornstarch, then flavored with oyster essence. It’s really great in a stir fry dish, it’s sweet and savory with a deep earthy flavor.
The best part about this dish besides the taste is that it can really be done in 30 minutes from start to finish. I love my 30 minute meals. You really can use any Asian style noodles you like or can find, but I prefer udon noodles because I buy them already pre-cooked and all I really have to do is soak them for a couple minutes in hot water until they loosen up.
So there you have it, another easy 30 minute meal, loaded with delicious Asian inspired flavors.
If you try this recipe, please let us know! Leave a comment, rate it and tag a photo #jocooks on Instagram so we can see it. I always love to see what you guys come up with!
Beef Broccoli Noodle Stir Fry
For Oyster Sauce
- 1 lb flank steak thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- In a small bowl, whisk together the oyster sauce, chili garlic sauce, salt, pepper and water. Set aside.
- In another larger bowl add the flank steak, garlic, cornstarch, egg yolk, salt, pepper then toss everything together.
- In a large skillet or wok heat 1 tbsp of the peanut oil. Add about half of the beef and stir-fry it for about 3 minutes or until it starts to brown. You will need to do this in a couple batches as you don't want the steak pieces to stick to each other. Also if you need more oil after the first batch feel free to add some more. Transfer the beef to a plate and set aside.
- In the same skillet, heat the remaining tbsp of peanut oil. Add the onion and shiitake mushrooms to the skillet and cook for about 5 minutes until the onion softens and the mushrooms start to brown.
- Add the pepper, broccoli and 1/3 cup of water to the skillet and cook for another 8 minutes or so until the broccoli is tender-crisp.
- Add the noodles, beef and oyster sauce to the skillet and toss well. Cook for another minute until the sauce thickens a bit, then serve.
★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!