Vegetarian stuffed mushrooms made healthy by just stuffing them with onions, mushroom stems, roasted peppers and a bit of freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
I love mushrooms!
I love deep fried breaded mushrooms, mushrooms on pizza, sauteed mushrooms, steak and mushrooms, mushrooms on burgers, you name it. I love my mushrooms. But most of all, I love my mushrooms stuffed.
I see you making faces there, but hold on my dearies, this here is a whole lot of yumminess! These babies here are packed with flavor and I did not forget about my good old friend Parmesan cheese. If you think you’re missing bacon here, think again, those roasted red peppers bring a lot of flavor to these mushrooms and without all the calories.
Let me tell you these mushrooms disappeared very quick, I barely had time to take pictures of them and they were all gone.
But before I give you the recipe to these little gorgeous jewels let me tell you my secret. I hate soggy mushrooms. These mushrooms are supposed to be an appetizer, but not with soggy and slimy mushrooms. Yes I know some of you out there have issues with slimy mushrooms, so this here trick is for you. I bake my mushrooms first, stem side down for about 10 or 15 minutes or just until they start leaking, then I place them on paper towels to soak up all that liquid. So this way when you bite into these little jewels, there’s no sliminess there, just wonderful mushroom flavor.
They are so perrrty, like little gems, little Christmas trees. You might say they’re almost too cute to eat. Almost!
If you guys love this recipe, and most importantly make it yourselves, please let us know. Take a picture and tag it #jocooks on Instagram so we can see it. I always love to see what you guys come up with!
Looking for more recipes? Follow on...
Vegetarian Stuffed Mushrooms
- Preheat oven to 400 F degrees.
- Clean the mushrooms and gently remove the stems from them.
- Place the mushrooms stem side down on a baking sheet and bake until the liquid leaks out of them then place the mushrooms stem side down on some paper towels to soak up any additional liquid.
- Chop up about half the mushroom stems in very small pieces. Chop the onion, green onions, red bell pepper, roasted pepper and parsley.
- Heat 2 tbsp of olive oil in a skillet. Add the mushrooms stems, red pepper, roasted pepper, green onion and onion to the skillet and saute. Add the oregano and salt and pepper. Saute for about 5 minutes until pepper and onion are tender.
- Transfer the stuffing to a bowl and let it cool a bit. Add the parsley, breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese and mix well.
- Place the mushrooms stem side up on the baking sheet and fill them with the stuffing, generously.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Serve warm.