Last updated on June 6th, 2018 at 11:31 am
This Curried Butternut Squash Soup is perfectly spiced with cumin, curry and turmeric, loaded with butternut squash and apples. Creamy, delicious and soul-warming! This recipe is the epitome of fall comfort food.
It’s definitely soup weather where we’re at since it’s cooled down quite a bit. We’re even expecting snow in the next couple days, so yeah, definitely soup weather. What’s it like where you’re at?
If it’s cooled down, then I have the perfect, and I mean perfect, soup for you. Of course, you don’t need cold weather as an excuse to make this incredible easy soup, because really for me it’s soup weather year round.
Are you ready for some curried butternut squash soup? It’s so easy and you probably have all the spices you need in your spice cabinet right now.
I don’t cook with butternut squash often, but once fall hits and I see it in grocery stores, I’m always drawn to it, but many times I shy away from it. This time however, once I saw it I just couldn’t shake the idea of a yummy curried butternut squash soup from my mind.
This recipe couldn’t get any easier and it really only requires some simple ingredients, because as we all know, I’m all about simple recipes. But that’s not what I love most about this soup. I’m so in love with the flavors in this soup. It’s so creamy, perfectly spiced, you can taste all the wonderful ingredients in every bite, it’s simply soul-warming. And so perfect for this time of year!
We enjoyed this sprinkled with some goat cheese, crispy fried bacon and a drizzle of maple syrup and served it with some cheese crackers. But I imagine this would be incredible served with a panini such as my Cuban Panini or a wrap such as my Turkey Hummus and Veggie Wrap.
If you try this recipe, please let us know! Leave a comment, rate it and tag a photo #jocooks on Instagram so we can see it. I always love to see what you guys come up with!
Curried Butternut Squash Soup
- 6 strips bacon chopped
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 tsp curry powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp cardamom
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/4 tsp pepper or to taste
- 4 cups chicken broth low sodium
- 1 lb large butternut squash about 1 cubed
- 1 large apple pealed, cored and cut into cubes
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tbsp fresh oregano chopped
- 1/2 cup goat cheese crumbled
- maple syrup
- In a large soup pot add the bacon and fry it until crispy over medium-high. Remove the bacon from the pot and set aside. Leave the bacon fat in the pot.
- Add the chopped onion and cook for about 3 minutes until it softens and becomes translucent. Add the garlic and cook for another 30 seconds. Add all the spices: curry, turmeric, cardamom, cumin, coriander, salt, pepper and stir.
- Stir in all the chicken broth then add the cubed butternut squash and apple. Turn the heat down to a medium and cook for about 15 to 20 minutes or until the butternut squash is fork tender.
- Use an immersion blender to puree the soup on high until creamy and smooth. Alternatively you can transfer the soup to a blender and puree it that way.
- Stir in the heavy cream and bring to a boil. Taste for salt and pepper and adjust as necessary.
- Garnish with fresh oregano and serve as is or top with goat cheese and crispy fried bacon.
Watch How To Make It
★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!