This Gingerbread Loaf is a spiced ginger loaf topped with cream cheese icing and makes a perfect treat for Christmas entertaining and gift giving.
I want to talk a bit about this gingerbread loaf, which gave me a hard time until I got it just right. Had to make it 3 times before it turned out perfect. My issue with the first 2 was that the middle kept sinking which did not make for a pretty loaf, tasty but not pretty.
Fooled around with the recipe a bit, turned down the temperature in the oven and finally ended up with a beautiful loaf. The first time my batter was a bit too thick, and I kept opening the oven door, which is a big NO NO and I know that, but in all my excitement, I can’t help myself. The second time, everything looked great, but in the last 5 minutes of baking it sunk like the Titanic.
Third time was a charm! I reduced the oven temperature, never opened the oven door till the end and added a bit more water and I ended up with a beautiful loaf!
However, I wanted something gorgeous for you guys, so I made this incredible cream cheese icing, which I couldn’t stop licking the bowl, then drizzled it with some red and green chocolate.
What a beauty this was, and definitely tasty, so perfect with a cup of coffee! I was so happy it turned out so great, I didn’t even want to cut into it.
How to Make the Perfect Gingerbread Loaf
Start by preheating your oven and prepare your loaf pan by spray it with some cooking or baking spray.
Whisk together all the dry ingredients then mix the butter, with the brown sugar until combined. Add the egg and vanilla and blend them in.
In a small bowl whisk together the molasses and the hot water. Alternate between the molasses mixture and the dry ingredients and add to the mixer bowl until all the ingredients are well combined.
Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 50 minutes. DO NOT open the oven door at all during the baking time or your bread my sink. If you need to peek at all, turn on your oven light.
How to Store Gingerbread Loaf
Store the loaf in an airtight container or wrapped in plastic wrap in the fridge for 5 to 7 days.
Can You Freeze Gingerbread Loaf
Yes, it freezes well. Wrap it up with plastic wrap and place it an airtight container. Store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
If you’re a fan of gingerbread loaves, you’ll love this bread. You could even make this in little mini gingerbread loaf pans and give them away as Christmas gifts. People will love them!
Looking for More Quick Bread Recipes? Try These:
- Olive Ham and Cheese Loaf
- Lemon Blueberry Yogurt Loaf
- Marbled Chocolate Banana Loaf
- Cranberry Quick Bread
- Pumpkin Cinnamon Bread
Looking for more recipes? Follow on...
Gingerbread Loaf With Cream Cheese Icing
- Preheat your oven to 325 F degrees. Coat a 9x5-inch loaf pan with cooking or baking spray. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, allspice and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of your mixer, add the butter and brown sugar, and beat on high speed using your paddle attachment, for about 1 minute. Add the egg and vanilla extract and beat together for another 30 seconds or until well blended, scrape down the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- Meanwhile in another smaller bowl whisk together the molasses with the hot water.
- Add a third of the flour mixture and beat on low until well incorporated, then 1/3 of the molasses/water and continue beating. Repeat this a couple more times, alternating between flour and molasses mixture. Please note that the batter will be quite thin.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake for about 50 minutes or until baked through. To test if the loaf is baked through, insert a toothpick in the center of the loaf, and if it comes out clean, it is done.
- Allow the bread to cool until it comes to room temperature in the pan, before removing it from the pan.
- To make the icing, add the powdered sugar, cream cheese, vanilla extract and lemon juice to the bowl of your mixer and beat on high using the whisk attachment until smooth. Spread the icing over the loaf, the icing should be quite thick, so it should be easy to spread.
- Melt the the red and green candy melts, if using, in the microwave. I usually microwave them for 1 min, stir then microwave for another 30 seconds and they should be melted. Drizzle the chocolate using a teaspoon over the gingerbread loaf.
- Cut into slices and serve.