Last updated on November 5th, 2018 at 11:29 am
This Pasta e Fagioli is a classic peasant soup loaded with veggies and pasta, delicious, hearty and loaded with Italian flavors! Best of all it’s made in an Instant Pot and ready in only 30 minutes from start to finish!
Summer is upon us, yet here I am sharing more soup recipes with you. Like I said many times, we’re soup lovers so we eat soup year round. But did you know pasta e fagioli simply means pasta and beans?
Pasta e fagioli is a classic Italian peasant soup loaded with beans and pasta. You could add meat to it if you prefer but mine is vegetarian, making this soup super healthy, yet still hearty and delicious.
I’m also still in love with my Instant Pot. I use that thing every chance I get. I especially love to use it to make soups because in 30 minutes you’re all done and ready to eat. And that includes the time required for the natural release cycle to complete as well.
This soup is also quite versatile. Use any kind of beans you like, use any pasta you like or even go ahead and add more veggies to it.
Love your Instant Pot as much as I do? Try these other IP recipes:
If you try this recipe, please let us know! Leave a comment, rate it and tag a photo #jocooks on Instagram so we can see it. I always love to see what you guys come up with!
Instant Pots Available
Instant Pot Pasta e Fagioli
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 2 medium carrots chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp chili garlic sauce or hot sauce
- 1 tbsp rosemary fresh, chopped
- 15.5 oz cannellini beans (white kidney beans), drained and rinsed
- 5 oz pasta such as rotini, gemelli, or elbow macaroni
- 14 oz diced tomatoes
- 4 cup chicken broth low sodium
- 2 bay leaves dried
- 1 parmesan rind optional
- Turn your Instant Pot to the saute setting. (See your manufacturer's guide for detailed instructions on how to use your instant pot.)
- Add the olive oil to the instant pot and let it heat for a few seconds, then add the onion, celery, carrots and garlic. Stir and saute for about 1 minute until the onion softens a bit.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the instant pot and stir.
- Close the lid (follow the manufacturer's guide for instructions on how to close the instant pot lid). Cook on high pressure (Manual setting) for 3 minutes.
- Once the Instant Pot cycle is complete, wait until the natural release cycle is complete, should take about 10 minutes. Follow the manufacturer's guide for quick release, if in a rush. Carefully unlock and remove the lid from the instant pot.
- Remove the Parmesan rind, then garnish with parsley, Parmesan cheese and serve warm.
- What is an Instant Pot: An IP is a multi-cooker, it's like seven different appliances all in one! It does the job of a slow cooker, pressure cooker, rice cooker, steamer, yogurt maker, etc.
- I don't have an Instant Pot, can I still make this: Yes! Follow the same instructions by adding the ingredients to a soup pot, and cooking for about 10 to 15 minutes or until the pasta is cooked to your preference.
- Nutrition: Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on products used.