Last updated on April 24th, 2019 at 07:03 pm
This Sausage Leek Ragu Gnocchi makes for the perfect rich and flavourful comfort food. The sausage and leek ragu sauce is slowly cooked until thick and hearty served with soft and fluffy potato gnocchi. Melt-in-your mouth delicious!
Oh how I love my gnocchi, especially when they are drenched in a yummy ragu made with sausage and leeks. YES! LEEKS! Leeks are wonderful, so good for you and basically taste just like onions, but much milder, they aren’t nearly as pungent as regular yellow or red onions. They are great in sauces like this sausage ragu which is slowly cooked for about 20 minutes until the sauce reduces nicely and it’s hearty and thick and coats the gnocchi nicely.
I know summer is just around the corner, but it’s still quite chilly here, so I’m still craving those comfort foods, though BBQ season is officially here so stay tuned for some awesome grilling recipes. But for now, gnocchi it is.
But this gnocchi is really all about the ragu because this ragu is out of bounds. We start by cooking up some mild Italian sausage then we add the leeks and herbs, I went with some fresh thyme and parsley, lightly seasoned it with some salt, pepper and red chili flakes then slowly cooked it with some crushed tomatoes. You want to simmer the ragu until the sauce is nice and thick and most of the liquid is gone and all you have is the meat and leaks.
Then all you have to do is add your cooked gnocchi and gently toss them in that beautiful ragu. You’re probably wondering about the ratio of gnocchi to sauce, but as I said this dish is all about the ragu. Gnocchi makes such a fantastic, quick, and filling meal. Try out some of my other favourites like Creamy Sun Dried Tomato Gnocchi and Garlic and Parsley Butter Chicken with Gnocchi!
If you try this recipe, please let us know! Leave a comment, rate it and tag a photo #jocooks on Instagram so we can see it. I always love to see what you guys come up with!
Sausage Leek Ragu Gnocchi
- Parmesan cheese freshly grated
- In a large skillet heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the Italian sausage and cook until no longer pink, breaking it up with a wooden spoon. It should take about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the leeks, thyme, parsley, garlic, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes and stir. Cook for another 3 minutes until leeks soften.
- Stir in the crushed tomatoes, bring to a boil then simmer for about 20 minutes until the sauce thickens and reduces. There should be no liquid left, it should be a nice thick sauce.
- While the sauce is reducing, cook the gnocchi according to package instructions.
- Add the gnocchi to the sauce and stir. Serve while warm, and garnish with grated Parmesan cheese, if preferred.
Watch How To Make It