Last updated on April 23rd, 2019 at 03:17 pm
These Shrimp Shiitake Noodles are loaded with earthy shiitake mushrooms, juicy, plump shrimp and oodles of noodles in a yummy soy sauce and butter sauce. Get your slurp on!
Hello my noodle lover friends! Because this dish is for the noodle lovers out there. And the mushroom lovers. And the shrimp lovers. But first, look at those shiitake mushrooms!
Hubs and I went to the Italian Centre this weekend, and when I saw these gorgeous shiitake mushrooms I grabbed a bunch. Didn’t even know what I was making, but who cared. They were perfect, that’s all I cared about. I know there are people out there who don’t really like mushrooms. I don’t even know what to say to you, except your loss. Mushrooms are great and have lots of health benefits. Not to mention they’re incredibly delicious with a woodsy and really meaty flavor.
Seems like I’ve been cooking lots with shrimp lately, but that’s mostly because when I go shopping I can’t just buy one bag of shrimp, I buy 2 or 3 bags, so I had to use them. Of course, chicken can be used in this dish, or simply skip it completely, and have a nice vegetarian dish. You could also fry up some tofu first, if you’re into that kind of thing.
We also picked up some great Bucatini pasta while we were at the Italian center and if you’ve never had it before, it really is basically a thick spaghetti with a hole running down the middle, to soak up more yummy sauces. Any pasta or noodles will work in this dish, really whatever you have on hand. I really love the thicker style noodles like udon or these bucatini pasta, I think they look great and not to mention are great for slurping, because let’s face it, when you eat a dish like this, you’re going to slurp. A lot.
When you’re done, you have a relatively simple dish, loaded with shiitake mushrooms, shrimp, noodles and delicious flavors.
If you try this recipe, please let us know! Leave a comment, rate it and tag a photo #jocooks on Instagram so we can see it. I always love to see what you guys come up with!
Shrimp Shiitake Noodles
- 12 oz noodles or pasta I used bucatini pasta
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3/4 lb large shrimp peeled and deveined
- 1/8 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/4 tsp pepper or to taste
- 5 tbsp butter unsalted
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 large shallots chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 12 oz shiitake mushrooms cleaned and sliced
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 1/2 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 3 tbsp soy sauce low sodium
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 cups pasta water
- 3 green onions sliced
- Cook your noodles or pasta according to package instructions. Reserve 1 1/2 cup of the pasta water before draining.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the shrimp to the skillet and lightly season with salt and pepper. Cook on both sides for about 1 to 2 minutes or until the shrimp is pink and starts to get golden brown. Transfer shrimp to a plate and set aside.
- Add the butter and sesame oil to the same skillet. Once the butter has melted, add the shallots and garlic and saute for about 2 to 3 minutes, until the shallots have softened and the garlic is aromatic.
- Add the shiitake mushrooms and stir so that the mushrooms get coated in the butter. Turn the heat down to medium and cook the mushrooms until they start to lightly brown. Should take about 5 minutes.
- Deglaze the skillet with the white wine, stirring to get all the brown bits at the bottom. Cook for about 1 minute, the mushrooms should soak up all the wine.
- Stir in the dark soy sauce, regular soy sauce, brown sugar, red pepper flakes and the reserved pasta water. Continue cooking for another 3 minutes.
- Add the noodles to the skillet and toss. Add the shrimp back to the skillet and garnish with the green onions.
- Serve while warm.
Watch How To Make It
★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!