Last updated on November 5th, 2018 at 11:08 am
These 5 Ingredient Firecracker Shrimp amazingly crispy and crunchy and makes for a fun and delicious appetizer. They’re so good, you won’t be able to stop eating them!
It’s been a super busy start to our summer. We finally moved into our brand new home which we planned and designed for the past year and for the past couple weeks we’ve been unpacking boxes after boxes. One wonders how do we ever accumulate so many things.
Being a food blogger, I have more kitchen items than your average cook, but still, it’s unreal. I almost feel sorry for hubs having to pack it all. All I can say is that I can hardly wait to start cooking up new concoctions of mine in my new studio and share with you new awesome and delicious recipes, so stay tuned.
Today’s recipe is for this delicious firecracker shrimp which requires only a handful of ingredients and are super simple to make. This would actually be a fun recipe to make with your kids, have them actually roll the shrimp, and you do the frying.
These firecracker shrimp can actually be made with either wonton wrappers or eggroll/springroll wrappers. I dipped the shrimp in a store bought sweet chili lime sauce then rolled them with some crushed peanuts and basil for some extra flavor.
Make sure you roll them tight like you were rolling a cigar and brush a little bit of water on the edges of the wrapper before tightening up, to ensure it sticks, this way it won’t open up in the fryer.
And there you have it, sweet, succulent shrimp that are crispy and delicious. Pretty exciting if you ask me.
If you try this recipe, please let us know! Leave a comment, rate it and tag a photo #jocooks on Instagram so we can see it. I always love to see what you guys come up with!
- 2 to 4 cups vegetable oil
- 1 package wonton wrappers or eggroll wrappers
- 1 lb shrimp large
- 1/3 cup sweet chili lime sauce
- 1/4 cup peanuts chopped
- 1 bunch basil fresh, chopped
- Heat the vegetable oil to 375 F degrees in a large Dutch oven or deep fryer.
- Cut the eggroll wrappers in half diagonally.
- Score the shrimp along the bottom to straighten them. Dip them in the sweet chili sauce, and place them on a plate.
- Take a wrapper, place a shrimp in the middle, and sprinkle with peanuts and basil. Tightly roll the wrapper around the fillings, brushing a bit of water on the edges of the wrapper with your finger. This will ensure the wrapper won't open in the fryer.
- Place the rolled shrimps into hot oil and fry for about 3 to 5 minutes, or until golden brown and crispy.
- Garnish with more peanuts and basil and serve with additional sweet chili lime sauce.