This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
These 5 ingredient Firecracker Shrimp are the perfect appetizer. Not only are they crispy, crunchy, and juicy, but they are also amazingly addicting.
After a busy weekend spent moving, I needed something that was easy to cook up and tasty enough to make me feel like celebrating amongst cardboard boxes. This recipe for delicious firecracker shrimp only requires 5 (count ’em, 5!) ingredients and is super simple to make. With a satisfying crunch and bursting with juicy shrimp, whose to say that these little showstoppers won’t make you see stars?
Ingredients In Firecracker Shrimp
- Wrappers – We want to use something that will seal well and crisp up nicely while frying. For instance, wonton, egg roll, or spring roll wrappers all work well for this recipe.
- Vegetable oil – Canola oil is a great neutral tasting oil for this recipe, peanut oil and sunflower oil are both good options as well.
- Shrimp – Large shrimp are best for this recipe to achieve that perfect blend of crispy and juicy.
- Filling – I wrapped each shrimp with crushed peanuts and basil but they’re totally optional.
- Sauce – Sweet chili sauce is what I used and is the perfect tart accompaniment.
How To Make Firecracker Shrimp
For detailed measurements and instructions, be sure to scroll down to my printable recipe card at the bottom of the page.
- Prepare the oil: Heat your oil to 375 F degrees in a large dutch oven or deep fryer.
- Wrap the shrimp: First, cut the wrappers in half diagonally. Then use a knife to score the side bottom of the shrimp that curls in, this will allow you to straighten your shrimp so it can be wrapped properly. Dip the shrimp in sweet chili sauce and begin to wrap. Place your shrimp in the middle of a wrapper, sprinkle with peanuts and basil, and tightly roll the wrapper around the fillings. Be sure to wet your finger with water and brush along to edges to ensure it seals.
- Finish the Firecracker shrimp: Place your wrapped shrimp in the oil gently and fry for 3 – 5 minutes or until golden brown. The hot oil on the wrapper will keep cooking it a bit even once removed from the fryer so be sure to pull them out before they get too dark. Garnish with the rest of the peanuts and basil and serve with chili sauce for dunking!
Tips For Making The Best Firecracker Shrimp
- If you find your wrappers are having trouble sealing fully, mix cornstarch with water to form a paste and coat that on the edges while rolling.
- Be sure to keep the tails on your shrimp to ensure you have a ready made dipping handle.
- This would actually be a fun recipe to make with your kids, have them actually roll the shrimp and you do the frying.
Craving More Appetizers? Try These Recipes:
- Chili Garlic Shrimp
- Easy Shrimp Fried Rice
- Honey Garlic Shrimp
- Bang Bang Shrimp
- Bacon Wrapped Chicken Bites
- Turkey Meatballs
- Garlic Parsley Butter Shrimp
- Blackened Shrimp
- 2 to 4 cups vegetable oil
- 1 package wonton wrappers (or eggroll wrappers)
- 1 pound shrimp (large)
- ⅓ cup sweet chili lime sauce
- ¼ cup peanuts (chopped)
- 1 bunch basil (fresh, chopped)
- Heat the vegetable oil to 375 F degrees in a large Dutch oven or deep fryer.
- Cut the eggroll wrappers in half diagonally.
- Score the shrimp along the bottom to straighten them. Dip them in the sweet chili sauce, and place them on a plate.
- Take a wrapper, place a shrimp in the middle, and sprinkle with peanuts and basil. Tightly roll the wrapper around the fillings, brushing a bit of water on the edges of the wrapper with your finger. This will ensure the wrapper won't open in the fryer.
- Place the rolled shrimps into hot oil and fry for about 3 to 5 minutes, or until golden brown and crispy.
- Garnish with more peanuts and basil and serve with additional sweet chili lime sauce.
Notice: Nutrition is auto-calculated for your convenience. Where relevant, we recommend using your own nutrition calculations.