Classic Shortbread Cookies – it only takes 3 ingredients to make these mouthwatering shortbread cookies. These shortbread cookies melt in your mouth.
Let the baking begin!
I love the month of December. I get to bake lots of cookies and share it with all my friends. Baking around the holidays is so nostalgic for me. I love to bake in my kitchen as I listen to Christmas music, sometimes the same song over and over, because I have a handful of Christmas songs that I absolutely love. But the trick to baking lots of cookies is coming up with new recipes all the time. I know there are thousands of cookie recipes out there, but I want to bake the ones that look good to me, cookies that I know I’d eat, and others would want to eat.
Alright, who am I kidding. I haven’t met a cookie yet I haven’t wanted to eat. And these cookies here, couldn’t wait till they came out of the oven, just desperately needed to put one in my mouth as soon as possible.
You don’t understand, I haven’t had much carbs lately but I swore to myself that I will have a cookie, just one cookie! I had one, I’ve been good so far, but all I keep thinking about are these cookies downstairs on the counter just waiting for me, tempting me, calling me.
I mean who can have just one cookie? You need to have at least a couple cookies, with a nice cold glass of milk.
Anywho, let me tell you about this beautiful and simple recipe for classic shortbread cookies. 3 ingredients my friends, only 3 ingredients and you get to have the most delectable and buttery and sweet shortbread cookie you’ll ever have in your life. And if you’re really brave, unlike me right now, dip them in some melted chocolate. Are you with me?
Or simply drizzle some caramel sauce, or chocolate sauce, or a light dusting of powdered sugar. And dip, dip in your coffee, or tea, or even hot cocoa. I think I need to go downstairs, I have an appointment with my cookies.
- 1½ cups (3 sticks or 12 oz or 340 g) salted butter, softened
- 1 cup (4.41 oz or 125 g) confectioners sugar (icing sugar or powdered sugar)
- 3 cups (13.23 oz or 375 g) all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 325 F degrees.
- Blend butter until smooth in a large bowl using an electric mixer set at medium speed. Slowly blend in the icing sugar. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and combine thoroughly. Add flour and mix at low speed until well blended.
- Pat dough into an ungreased cookie sheet. Alternatively you can roll out the dough so that it's about ¼ of an inch in thickness and cut them to your desired shape. I placed parchment paper on my cookie sheet, but it's not necessary.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until just done (slightly golden in color). Do not let it get brown. Remove from oven and sprinkle with colored sugar or other sprinkles if desired. Cut into squares if you haven't pre-cut them and place cookie sheet on wire rack to cool for 10 minutes. Remove from pan and enjoy!
Other cookie recipes you might enjoy: