Gnocchi with Bacon, Tomato Sauce and Mozzarella a true and delicious comfort meal.
Happy Weekend! All I want to do right now is go to bed, get under the covers and watch a chick flick. Yes I call them chick flicks, but I love them, I even make my husband watch them with me sometimes and I think he even enjoys them. He’s getting soft in his old age. But it’s been a hectic week and I’m tired and all I feel like doing right now is stay in bed and watch TV. Pretty exciting, eh? I still had to cook something, so here comes gnocchi with bacon, tomato sauce and mozzarella cheese, something I don’t make often.
Now I realize when you look at this dish you’re probably wondering where the heck are the gnocchi! Trust me they’re there, they’re just drowning in this delicious tomato sauce and they’re smothered with mozzarella cheese. When I took this out of the oven I seriously felt like I was at a restaurant and was being served a luscious meal. But I made it and it was AAAAH-MAZING!!!
But you know why I love this gnocchi dish so much? Because it has bacon! I’m sure you figured that out, bacon makes everything 10 times better. Whenever you use bacon in your cooking it always is the star of your dish, but that’s ok, the gnocchi here is a close second and then that sauce and that mozzarella…..I’m drooling here, it’s all good, you can make this and enjoy it as much as I did.
- 1 lb store-bought gnocchi
- 6 slices bacon, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 can (14 oz) diced tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2-3 tbsp sour cream
- large handful fresh parsley, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup mozzarella, shredded
- Preheat the oven to 425 F degrees.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil.
- In the meantime, make the sauce. In a large skillet fry the bacon until starting to crisp with most of the fat rendered. Pour off most of the fat then add the garlic and smoked paprika and fry for 30 seconds.
- Add the diced tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar and allow to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the sour cream, parsley and seasoning.
- Cook the gnocchi in the salted water until it starts floating to the top. Remove with a slotted spoon and add to the sauce.
- Transfer the gnocchi and sauce to an oven-proof dish and top with the shredded mozzarella.
- Place in the oven and bake for 10 minutes until the mozzarella is melted and golden.
- Remove from the oven and allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving.