Bang Bang Chicken – From the Panko breading to the sweet chili mayo, this recipe is perfection!
I finally found Panko breadcrumbs. Seriously, I’ve never used them before until now.
And you know how they say ignorance is bliss, well that is so true. Because I did not know what I was missing, I knew they were supposed to be better but since I didn’t know I was more than happy with regular old breadcrumbs.
But Oh My God! I love love love Panko breadcrumbs. The chicken came out so crispy, so crunchy, so heavenly! Seriously! I am never going back to regular breadcrumbs again. You know when you find a product that you end up using forever because you just can’t live without it, well that’s me now with Panko breadcrumbs. It’s breadcrumb heaven!
But enough about Panko breadcrumbs and let’s talk about this bang bang chicken. The name itself is super cool. Bang bang chicken! I just love saying it. And not only does this chicken have a cool name, it’s awesome, it’s the best chicken ever! And that sauce, oh my that sauce with the chicken, what a great combo! I am salivating just writing about it. Damn right it’s Bang Bang Chicken.
If you’re looking for a healthier version, check out the bang bang shrimp version which is baked!
- 4 chicken breasts, boneless, skinless, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ¾ cup flour
- ½ cup cornstarch
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp hot sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- Panko breadcrumbs
- oil for frying
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup sweet chili sauce (I used Frank's)
- 1 tbsp Frank's hot sauce
- 2 tbsp honey
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, cornstarch, garlic powder, smoked paprika, salt and pepper. To the bowl add the hot sauce, egg, and buttermilk and whisk until you have a smooth batter. Add the chicken pieces to the bowl, toss to make sure each piece is coated in the batter and set aside.
- In another bowl add about a cup of Panko breadcrumbs.
- Mix all ingredients for the sauce together and refrigerate until ready for serving.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet.
- Coat each piece of chicken with breadcrumbs, add more breadcrumbs as needed, and fry on both sides for 3 to 5 minutes until chicken is cooked through. Place on paper napkins to soak up some of the oil. Repeat with all chicken pieces. Only add a few pieces of chicken to the skillet at a time, so the chicken turns out crispy.
- Drizzle chicken with sauce and serve.