We went to the farmer’s market this past weekend and I was like a little kid in a candy store. I wanted to buy all the fruits and vegetables that I saw. Needless to say I ended up buying a lot of fruits and now I’m looking at all of them and trying to figure out what to do with them all, there’s only so many fruits we can eat. I think I might try and make jam, never made jam in my life, but how hard could it be.
I bought these gorgeous strawberries and I decided to make something to use some of them up. I’ve been in the mood to make tarts lately so strawberry tart it is with a delicious custard. Don’t be afraid to make custard, there’s really nothing to it. To make this tart even easier to make, I used store bought puff pastry.
I, for one, love puff pastry, there are so many things I can make with it and I try and use it every chance I get. I love to make sweet tarts, savory tarts, fruit turnovers, meat pies, the list is endless. All you need is imagination. 🙂
Looking for more recipes? Follow on...
Strawberry and Custard Tart
- 1 sheet of puff pastry
- 2 cups of strawberries sliced
- 2 tbsp sugar
- powdered sugar for dusting optional
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 cups milk
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 tbsp vanilla
- In a medium size bowl, whisk the egg yolks with 1/4 cup of the milk, sugar, vanilla and cornstarch.
- In a sauce pan, heat the milk until it's hot, but not yet boiling. Take the milk off the heat and slowly start adding the egg mixture to the hot milk, while continuously whisking. Continue adding egg mixture and whisking until all the egg mixture is gone. Place the sauce pan over the heat again and which until the mixture thickens and resembles custard.
- Remove from heat and cool.
- Preheat oven to 375 F degrees.
- Roll out the puff pastry into a long piece that's about 18 inches long and 6 inches wide.
- Using the tip of a sharp knife, mark a shallow cut 1/2 inch from the edge of the pastry to form a rim.
- Spread half of the custard onto the pastry, keeping the custard inside the marked rim.
- Arrange strawberries nicely on the custard.
- Sprinkle with sugar and bake for 20 to 25 minutes.