This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Sausage and Potato Breakfast Bake – perfect for breakfast or brunch! This casserole combines everyone’s breakfast favorites – potatoes, sausage, eggs and cheese.
I’m back from vacation and back to my life which I have missed quite a bit. I’m a homebody, really I am and I’m not ashamed to admit it. I love being at home, I never get bored. In fact I never have time to do everything I need to do. I’m also finally not extremely tired anymore, 3 days in the car really did me in, yesterday I was a mess, although I was really busy. But I couldn’t wait to get home because I was craving a great homemade breakfast bake.
So I decided to make one of my favorite breakfasts of all time, sausage and potatoes breakfast bake. This is one breakfast I never get tired of and could eat this for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The great thing about this breakfast is that you can make it all in one skillet, so only one pot to wash. These are my kind of meals, because I hate doing dishes, and I know I’m not alone here.
Here’s what you’ll need for this yummy breakfast. I started by browning a couple Italian sausage links which I removed out of their casings and just broke them down with a wooden spoon. Just cook them for a bit in a little bit of olive oil until the meat is no longer pink and it starts to brown.
I like to add a small chopped onion to mine for a bit of flavor and you’ll also need 3 medium potatoes, cut into small cubes. The smaller the cubes the quicker they will cook. Just cook the potatoes until they’re almost fork tender. I added about 1/4 cup of chicken broth to mine, so that the potatoes soak up the broth as they cook. I also season as I go with salt and pepper usually, but this time I used some seasoning salt.
Next I added a red bell pepper and a green bell pepper. My sister went to the market yesterday and bought herself 35 lbs of peppers because they were really cheap and then came over and dumped about half of them here. So now here I am stuck with a lots of peppers, not that I’m complaining, just have to use them in everything I make.
I used 6 large eggs here which I whisked together with the cheese, I used half a cup of mozzarella cheese and half a cup of cheddar cheese, my favorite combination. Then just pour the egg mixture over the potato and sausage mixture and lightly mix everything together.
All you have left to do now is bake this for about 15 to 20 minutes at 375 F degrees until the eggs are done and it starts to lightly brown on top. A pretty easy recipe but it really makes for a nice hearty breakfast, it’s even perfect for brunch.
If you guys love this recipe, and most importantly make it yourselves, please let us know. Take a picture and tag it #jocooks on Instagram so we can see it. I always love to see what you guys come up with!
Looking for more recipes? Follow on...
Sausage and Potato Breakfast Bake
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 links Italian sausage casings removed
- 3 medium potatoes peeled and cut into small cubes
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1/2 cup chicken broth low sodium or no sodium added
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- salt and pepper to taste or you could use seasoning salt
- Preheat oven to 375 F degrees.
- In a large skillet heat the olive oil and add sausage. Break the sausage with a wooden spoon until it's all crumbled up. Cook for 3 minutes or until sausage is no longer pink, and starts to brown.
- Add potatoes, onion and chicken broth to skillet and stir. Season with salt and pepper. Cook until potatoes are fork tender, about 5 to 7 minutes, they should soak up all the broth.
- Add peppers and cook for another 2 minutes.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the eggs with the cheeses and pour over the sausage and potato mixture. Lightly stir everything together. Season with salt and pepper as needed.
- Place skillet in the oven and bake for about 15 to 20 minutes or until eggs are cooked and the top is golden brown.