This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
California Quinoa Salad – a Whole Foods Market copycat recipe, full of delicious ingredients and super good for you. Simply Delish!
So here I am with another salad recipe again and you might be wondering what’s wrong with me. Where are all the baked goods and desserts? But bear with me here and hear me out. This salad is fabulous! It’s Ah-Mazing!!! It’s out of this world, it’s that good!
And being on my forever quest to get my husband to eat more quinoa, I thought this salad was very appropriate for our dinner tonight. To him, just the thought of quinoa puts him off and would rather not eat a thing. So, as usual, I try and find creative and delicious ways to hide/camouflage quinoa in salads, casseroles, or whatever.
But sometimes I’m not too successful in hiding the quinoa and as he was putzing around the kitchen tonight and saw me cooking quinoa, I saw his face change and the color in his face fade away. And with a very disappointed face he mumbled “I know I said I wanted to eat healthier food, but I meant eat one sausage instead of 2.” And off to his man cave he disappeared.
Luckily, I don’t always listen to him, so I continued on with my mission to make this salad super delicious contrary to the mumbles and grumbles I was receiving.
But let’s be real here. How can this salad not be delicious. Let’s check out some of the ingredients. Mangos! I love a good mango. And I had the perfect ripe mango. Shredded coconut, raisins, slivered almonds, edamame!
Now I used parsley here, mostly because I’m not a huge fan of cilantro, and secondly because I didn’t have any cilantro. But I’m pretty sure cilantro would be great in this salad, so if you have it, please use it. I also used gold and black quinoa here, but any kind of quinoa would work. I bet red quinoa would look really pretty too.
Look at all those gorgeous colors. I for one am in love with this salad and am super excited that I have leftovers for lunch tomorrow.
And by the way, even the grumpy hubs had some and said that, while it was good, he felt his arteries clear up as he was eating it, that’s how healthy it was. You know what? I’ll take that as a compliment!
If you guys love this recipe, and most importantly make it yourselves, please let us know. Leave a comment below and rate this recipe or take a picture and tag it #jocooks on Instagram so we can see it. I always love to see what you guys come up with!
Looking for more recipes? Follow on...
California Quinoa Salad
- 1/2 cup quinoa dry
- 1 cup water to cook quinoa
- 1 large mango chopped in small pieces
- 1/4 small red onion chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper chopped
- 3/4 cup shredded coconut unsweetened
- 3/4 cup almond slices or slivers, toasted if preferred
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup edamame shelled, thawed if frozen
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped, or parsley if you don't like cilantro
- 4 tbsp lime juice from 2 limes
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the quinoa according to package instructions. Let cool.
- Whisk all the dressing ingredients together in a small bowl.
- In a large bowl toss all the salad ingredients together including the cooled quinoa and add the dressing. Toss it well and serve cold.
- Will keep around 5 days in the fridge.
- Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on products used.