This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Mini Caprese Salad Bites – a most delicious salad served in a most elegant way. The perfect appetizer for a party, or just simply because!
Caprese Salad or Insalata Caprese is a very simple salad from Italy consisting of fresh mozzarella cheese, tomatoes, basil and olive oil and seasoned with salt and pepper. I think the beauty of this salad is its simplicity and the fact that it consists of the Italian flag colors. Different versions of it include using balsamic vinegar and that’s what I chose to do with mine today.
I love this salad, and we make it almost every night of the week because of how simple it is. We use fresh bocconcini for it and if you’ve never had bocconcini, all it is is small pieces of fresh mozzarella cheese. We also tried something different this time, I say we because it was my husband’s idea to do this and he’s the salad king at our house. We tried a balsamic reduction instead of just plain old balsamic vinegar. I think it was a great idea, mostly because it looks better and if you’re making this for a party I strongly recommend using a balsamic reduction instead.
A balsamic reduction all it is is just cooking the balsamic vinegar for a while and it will reduce to less than half and thicken in the process, so the flavor is more concentrated.
One more thing I want to say about this caprese salad, isn’t this the cutest presentation you’ve ever seen? I mean how adorable and perfect is this for an appetizer at a party?
It’s brilliant! I know, you’ll impress everyone!
If you guys love this recipe, and most importantly make it yourselves, please let us know. Take a picture and tag it #jocooks on Instagram so we can see it. I always love to see what you guys come up with!
Looking for more recipes? Follow on...
Mini Caprese Salad Bites
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 cups bocconcini cheese I used mini bocconcini
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes
- 1 bunch basil fresh
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/4 tsp pepper or to taste
- In a small skillet add the balsamic vinegar and cook over medium heat until it reduced to less than half and thickened. Make sure you stir occasionally. It should only take about 5 to 10 minutes, depending on the amount you're reducing.
- Take a toothpick and on it stick a bocconcini, a basil leaf and a cherry tomato. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Using a teaspoon drizzle some of the balsamic reduction onto each appetizer.