Last updated on March 24th, 2017 at 03:25 pm
Perk up your dinner tonight with this firecracker baked salmon. Red pepper flakes and Sriracha sauce provide this salmon with some fiery flavor that give this salmon its name.
Let me cut to the chase here. Because as far as fish goes, this is probably as incredible as you’re going to get. I’m not being biased or anything here, I’m just telling you now you’re going to love this salmon. I’m beginning to get an unhealthy obsession with anything Sriracha, and this is coming from someone who never used to eat spicy anything. And now look at me, I put it on everything.
Back when I worked in IT, we used to follow the KISS principle when it came to developing applications, keep it simple, stupid. I like to follow that same principle in cooking most of the time. So if you can manage to whisk a few ingredients together and pour it over the fish, then you can manage to make this simple recipe. Now you may look at this salmon and because of its color and its name you’re going to think that this salmon really is so hot that you won’t be able to touch it. Well, it is a bit spicy but I added some brown sugar into the marinade to balance off the spiciness with a bit of sweetness. Trust me on this, it works, this marinade is the bomb.
You will want to marinate your fish for at least a couple hours, I believe I left mine in there for 2.5 hours and the longer you leave it, the tastier it will be. You can then bake it for about 15 to 20 minutes, this really depends on the thickness of your salmon, it might take a bit more if thicker. You can also use salmon fillets if you don’t want a big piece of fish like this, especially if you’re serving it to guests. If you want to grill this salmon, I would recommend putting it on a large aluminum foil that you can fold up around the edges, so that the marinade can sit in there, then you can grill it with foil and all.
I would serve this over some plain steamed rice, or with a side of steamed vegetables like broccoli and cauliflower.
If you guys love this recipe, and most importantly make it yourselves, please let us know. Take a picture and tag it #jocooks on Instagram so we can see it. I always love to see what you guys come up with!
- 1 1/2 lb salmon fillet no skin
- 2 green onions chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp fresh ginger minced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp Sriracha sauce
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- In a small bowl whisk all the marinade ingredients together.
- Place salmon in a baking dish and pour marinade over the salmon. Rub the marinade over both sides making sure the entire salmon is covered. Cover the baking dish with plastic wrap and let it marinate in the fridge for 2 hours up to 24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375 F degrees.
- Remove the plastic wrap from the baking dish and bake for 15 to 20 minutes. Note that the baking time could vary depending on the thickness of the salmon.
- Garnish with chopped green onions and serve immediately.
Total time does not include time required to marinade the salmon.
Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on products used.