Last updated on March 1st, 2018 at 11:26 am
This Bacon Wrapped Meatloaf will become a family favorite for sure! Meatloaf is back and better than ever, full of flavor, some hidden veggies, and wrapped with delicious thick cut bacon!
Is meatloaf still a thing? I mean do people still make a good hearty meatloaf and mashed potatoes for dinner? I sure hope so, because comfort food doesn’t get any better than this. This bacon wrapped meatloaf will surely please and impress your entire family. Not to mention how easy it really is to make meatloaf and pretty cheap too. I remember my mom used to make meatloaf when we were growing up and sometimes she’d even stuff it with hard boiled eggs. It was a favorite, that’s for sure.
The great thing about meatloaf is that you can hide veggies in there and nobody would really know. I added onions and peppers to this meatloaf but in the past I’ve even added mushrooms and is it ever good because it makes it extra moist so you don’t end up with a dry meatloaf.
But this meatloaf is really all about that thick cut bacon and the yummy BBQ sauce which is to die for because I added bourbon to it. Trust me, it makes it so much better, you won’t want to skip that step. It’s true that meatloaf takes a bit to cook in the oven but if you wanted to you could prepare this the night before, refrigerate it then all you’d have to do when you come home is bake it.
It really is amazing what you get with such simple ingredients as ground pork, some eggs, breadcrumbs and some condiments. Nothing beats homemade, so don’t buy already prepared meatloaf, just buy the ground meat you prefer and add the rest of the ingredients yourself. This way you know what goes in your food and you can season it just the way you like.
Any type of meat would work here, I chose pork because that’s what I had in my freezer and I love pork on pork, but ground beef would work just as well, or you could even mix the two. If you want a healthier meatloaf, then use ground chicken or ground turkey. I’d still wrap it with the bacon, because everything is better with bacon.
As this bakes your house will smell heavenly which is always the best part, well next to eating it actually. I love to serve this meatloaf over some mashed potatoes, or a side of steamed veggies. It’s real good comfort food, good for the soul!
If you try this recipe, please let us know! Leave a comment, rate it and tag a photo #jocooks on Instagram so we can see it. I always love to see what you guys come up with!
Bacon Wrapped Meatloaf
- 2 lbs ground pork
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley
- 1/2 tsp salt or to preference
- 1/4 tsp pepper or to preference
- 8 slices thick cut bacon
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 1 tbsp Sriracha sauce or any hot sauce
- 2 tbsp bourbon optional
- Preheat your oven to 350 F degrees. Spray a loaf pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, add all the ingredients for the meatloaf together (except the bacon) and mix well with your hands. You can also saute the chopped onion and pepper first to soften it a bit, but it's not necessary.
- Place the meat mixture in the prepared loaf pan and smooth out the top with a spatula. Cover with bacon slices, tucking in the bacon over the sides.
- In a small bowl whisk all the sauce ingredients together. Brush half the sauce over the meatloaf and bake in the oven for 1 hour and 30 minutes. Half way through, take the meatloaf out and brush the remaining sauce over it and continue baking.
- Let cool for about 10 minutes then cut into slices and serve over mashed potatoes.
★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!