Last updated on November 4th, 2018 at 07:30 pm
Chicken Gloria or Chicken a la Gloria is a comforting chicken and mushroom casserole. A super quick to prepare delicious and mouthwatering dish perfect for a weeknight.
Chicken Gloria or Chicken a la Gloria is an old chicken casserole dish that many of us have grown up with. Not sure who Gloria is or where the origin of this dish comes from but it’s a favorite of mine.
Chicken Gloria is a hearty chicken dish that has become so popular and a favorite because of how easy it is to prepare and simply for the fact that it’s creamy, cheesy and delicious! This chicken is incredibly tender, loaded with mushrooms and a true comforting dish!
I love to use cremini mushrooms in this casseroles but regular white mushrooms work just as well. This chicken and mushroom dish is so quick to make and it’s simply mouthwatering. Chicken and mushrooms for me is a great combination and I just love the idea of marrying the two and because you basically cook the chicken twice, once fried and once in the oven, it becomes super moist and delicious.
And because cheese makes everything better, just like bacon, I added some to this casserole, so now you have a cheesy, juicy chicken and mushroom casserole. Usually Muenster cheese is used in this casserole, but I couldn’t find it, so I used Swiss cheese, but the outcome is the same.
Like this chicken dish? Try these:
If you try this recipe, please let us know! Leave a comment, rate it and tag a photo #jocooks on Instagram so we can see it. I always love to see what you guys come up with!
- 1 lb chicken breasts boneless and skinless, cut in half lengthwise (about 3 breasts)
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/2 tsp pepper or to taste
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp butter unsalted
- 8 oz mushrooms fresh, I used cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup sherry wine
- 18 oz cream of mushroom soup 1 can
- 6 slices Swiss cheese or Muenster cheese
- 1 tbsp parsley chopped, for garnish
- Heat oven to 350 F degrees.
- Season both sides of the chicken with salt and pepper. Add the flour to a shallow dish. Coat both sides of the chicken with flour; shake off excess flour.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Brown chicken on both sides. Note that the chicken doesn't have to be cooked thoroughly because it will finish cooking in the oven.
- Transfer chicken to a 13x9 inch baking dish.
- Add the butter to the same skillet and melt over medium high heat. Add mushrooms and season a bit with salt and pepper. Cook mushrooms until golden brown. Stir in sherry and cook for an additional 2 minutes. Stir in soup and cook until thoroughly heated.
- Pour the mushroom sauce over the chicken and top with cheese so that the entire casserole is topped with cheese.
- Cover dish with foil and bake for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, turn oven to broil and remove foil from dish; broil for a couple minutes to brown the cheese, making sure you don't burn it.
- Garnish with parsley and serve.
- Boneless skinless chicken thighs can be used as well instead of the chicken breast.
- Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on products used.