This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Perfect for taco Tuesday or any day, these tasty air fryer Chicken Tacos are an easy 20-minute meal that the whole family will love! Made with perfectly seasoned air-fried chicken breast wrapped up in warm tortillas and then topped with some fresh cilantro, zesty red onion, creamy avocado, and a squeeze of lime, it’s hard to resist the delicious taste of a taco!
Best Chicken Tacos Recipe
It’s taco time, folks! And we’re not talking about any ordinary tacos. No sir, this chicken tacos recipe is made in the air fryer! So the chicken is perfectly browned on the outside, super juicy on the inside, and bursting with flavor! Then that tasty chicken is wrapped up in soft corn or flour tortillas with all the classics like fresh cilantro, red onion, and avocado. And let’s not forget the squeeze of lime to finish! I’m telling you, every bite of these homemade tacos is like a fiesta in your mouth!
Now, I know you might be thinking how can air-fried possibly compare to deep-fried deliciousness? But trust me on this one! These air fryer chicken tacos are the way to go. Not only does air frying cut down on calories and unhealthy oils, but it also creates a perfectly golden brown exterior without sacrificing any of the juicy goodness inside. Plus, who doesn’t love feeling like they’re indulging in something naughty when really they’re being oh-so-healthy!?!
So while I do love my good old-fashioned Ground Beef Tacos topped with fresh tomato pico de gallo and guacamole, your taste buds, and waistline will thank you for giving these chicken tacos a try! And better yet! If you want to make it a completely carb-free meal all you have to do is omit the tortillas and serve the chicken wrapped up in some greens like my Jerk Chicken Lettuce Wraps. There are no rules in taco making.
Why You’ll Love These Chicken Tacos
- Easy Weeknight Meal! Perfect for busy days, with the help of a handy air fryer you can make these super yummy tacos in under 30 minutes with just a few basic affordable ingredients. It’s an effortless recipe with almost no prep or cleanup!
- Tasty Taco Recipe! These tacos are heaven in a tortilla! When tender chicken breast is air fried after being coated in flavorful Latin spices and then topped with fresh cilantro, avocado, red onion, and a squeeze of lime it’s absolutely delicious.
- Family Favorite! Tacos are one of the world’s favorite kid-approved foods that adults love just as much. You can whip this recipe together for a lunch, dinner, or afternoon game day gathering snack!
- Chicken – You will need some boneless skinless chicken breasts. You could also use boneless skinless chicken thighs if you prefer, but you will need to adjust the cooking time.
- Spices – A mixture of chili powder, ground cumin, garlic powder, and onion powder is used to give the chicken layers of Latin flavor. Another option is to use my homemade Taco Seasoning! You could also add some ground chipotle pepper or cayenne pepper to add a bit more heat.
- Seasonings – Simple salt and black pepper are used to season the chicken.
- Olive Oil – I like to use olive oil, but any type of vegetable oil will work.
- Tortillas – You can use any kind of small corn or flour tortillas.
- Cilantro – A bit of fresh cilantro adds a lovely fresh finish.
- Red Onions – Adds a bit of crunch and bite! If you don’t have red onion, any type of onion you have on hand will work.
- Avocado – Use ripe and ready to eat avocados for the best flavor.
- Lime Wedges – No taco would be complete without a squeeze of fresh lime juice.
Get ready to have your taste buds blown away with these easy air-fried chicken tacos! In just a few simple steps and under 30 minutes you can have tacos on the table ready to be paired with a side of Refried Beans and Mexican Rice.
Before you even start diving into the recipe, you will want to preheat your air fryer to 380°F (193°C) if needed. But this step really depends on your particular air fryer. Some air fryers don’t require preheating. So you will need to check the manufacturer’s guide of your model.
Now, let’s start adding some yummy flavor to the chicken! To begin, mix the chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and black pepper together in a small bowl. Then rub the chicken breasts on both sides with the olive oil. Finally, sprinkle the spice mixture all over the chicken.
To cook, lay the seasoned chicken breasts in a single layer in the air fryer basket. Next, put the basket into the air fryer and cook the chicken for 10 minutes, flipping it over halfway through the cooking time. When the chicken is done, it should be golden brown and the internal temperature should be at least 165°F (74°C) when checked with a digital cooking thermometer. Then allow the chicken to cool for 5 minutes before chopping it up into small pieces or shredding it with a fork.
The fun part! Once the chicken is cooked, get all your ingredients lined up and ready to go. Then lightly toast the tortillas in a dry skillet over medium heat for a minute or so until they are soft and pliable. Next, portion the chicken out evenly among the tortillas. Then top each one with a bit of fresh cilantro, red onion, and avocado. Now, put all the tacos on a platter with some wedges of lime. Then serve them immediately with a side of salsa, sour cream, and cheese if you like!
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I air fry frozen chicken?
Yes! However, you’ll need to cook the chicken breasts for an extra 7 to 10 minutes. And when cooking meat from frozen it’s imperative that you test the doneness with a digital cooking thermometer. When chicken is fully cooked the internal temperature should be at least 165°F (74°C).
Can I bake the chicken?
Yes, of course! After the chicken has been coated in the oil and spice mixture, lay the breasts in a single layer in a greased baking dish. Then just pop them in the oven to bake at 450°F (232°C) for about 18 to 25 minutes. This is how I make my Baked Chicken Breast recipe! However, keep in mind that the size of your chicken breasts does impact the cooking time.
Can I use chicken thighs instead of chicken breasts?
Yes, you can substitute chicken thighs for chicken breasts. Adjust the cooking time accordingly, as chicken thighs may take a bit longer to cook through.
- Pat the chicken dry. Pat the chicken breasts dry with paper towels before coating them with the oil and spices. Removing the excess moisture helps to create a better golden brown exterior on the chicken.
- Cook the chicken in batches. If your air fryer isn’t big enough to lay all the breasts flat in the basket in a single layer then it’s best to cook the chicken in batches. If you overcrowd the air fryer the meat won’t cook as evenly.
- Temp the chicken. To ensure that chicken is fully cooked, you can use an instant-read digital thermometer to make sure that it has reached an internal temperature of at least 165°F (74°C).
Any leftover air fried chicken will keep in the fridge for about 4 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months when stored in an airtight container. However, assembled tacos don’t really keep all that well. So it’s always best to only make enough tacos for that meal.
To reheat the leftover chicken, just put it in the microwave for a few minutes on medium heat or in the oven at 350°F (177°C) for about 7 minutes. If it’s frozen, you’ll want to let it thaw out overnight in the fridge before reheating.
Other Delicious Taco Recipes To Try
- Preheat the air fryer to 380°F.
- In a small bowl, combine the chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and black pepper.
- Rub the chicken breasts with the olive oil on both sides then sprinkle the with spice mixture, coating evenly on both sides.
- Place the chicken breasts in the air fryer basket. Cook for 10 minutes, turning halfway, until golden brown and cooked through. The chicken is cooked through when a thermometer reads 165°F inserted in the center of a breast. Allow the chicken to cool for 5 minutes then cut it into small pieces or shred it with a fork.
- To assemble the tacos, warm the tortillas in a dry skillet until soft and pliable.
- Divide the chicken evenly among the tortillas, then top with cilantro, red onion, and avocado.
- Serve immediately with lime wedges.
- Customize the spice blend by adjusting the amount of chili powder or adding other spices like smoked paprika or cayenne pepper for an extra kick.
- Use a food thermometer to check the internal temperature of the chicken, ensuring it reaches 165°F for safe consumption.
- For a lower-carb alternative, serve the chicken taco filling in lettuce wraps instead of tortillas.
- To keep tortillas warm and pliable, wrap them in a slightly damp paper towel or clean kitchen towel and heat them in the microwave for 20-30 seconds before assembling the tacos.
- If you’re short on time, use a store-bought taco seasoning packet instead of making your own spice blend. Just be aware that store-bought seasoning might have added sodium or preservatives.
- Experiment with a variety of toppings to suit your preferences, such as pickled onions, crumbled cotija cheese, or a dollop of your favorite hot sauce.
Notice: Nutrition is auto-calculated for your convenience. Where relevant, we recommend using your own nutrition calculations.