Last updated on April 13th, 2019 at 10:32 pm
Pumpkin Sausage Pasta – a delicious and creamy sauce with sausage and pumpkin. A perfect fall meal, not only delicious but ready in 30 minutes.
It’s pumpkin season my friends, and I personally feel the need to showcase the pumpkin and make it the star of the show as often as possible. So how about a pumpkin and sausage pasta? Don’t knock it till you try it! This pasta is divine. And that sauce, well that sauce is simply to die for. That sauce has ingredients like Italian sausage, white wine, pumpkin of course and heavy cream. How can it not be divine!
Today was the first day I went back to work after about a week and a half, because of the course I was on, and to my huge surprise this morning as I left the house, it was dark outside. So yes, what this means is that fall is officially here, but with the nice weather we were having last week I think I’ve been in denial thinking it was still summer. But yes, looking outside it really is Fall, hardly any leaves left on trees and everyone’s got pumpkins on their front porch. Which brings me back to my recipe today which features our great friend the pumpkin.
You know I never used to cook a lot with pumpkin, probably the only thing I’d have is pumpkin pie, but this was a long time ago, before I was a foodie. And what a world has opened up to me since I started blogging. I’ve learned so much and I’ve learned to love and try so many foods I would never have before. But pumpkin in this pasta recipe is simply delicious and a must try.
Pumpkin Sausage Pasta
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb Italian sausage mild
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp oregano dried
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 cup chicken stock low sodium
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon ground
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg ground or freshly grated
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/2 tsp pepper or to taste
- 1 lb bowtie pasta cooked al dente
- In a large skillet, or cast iron pot heat the olive oil. Remove sausage from casings, if needed, and brown the sausage in the skillet, breaking it with a wooden spoon to smaller pieces. Transfer cooked sausage to a plate and drain most of the fat from the skillet, leave about a tablespoon worth.
- Add chopped onion and garlic to skillet and saute 3 to 5 minutes or until the onions are tender.
- Add bay leaf, oregano and wine to the skillet. Cook until the wine reduced by half, about 2 minutes. Add stock and pumpkin and stir to combine, stirring until sauce comes to a bubble. Return sausage to the pan, reduce heat and stir in cream. Season with cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and pepper to taste. Simmer sauce until it thickens, about 5 minutes. Remove bay leaf from sauce.
- Add drained pasta to the skillet with sauce and toss over low heat for about a minute.
- Serve with some Parmesan cheese sprinkled over, and a nice crusty bread.