This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This easy sweet and savory Sausage French Toast Roll Ups recipe is as fun to make as it is to eat. With just a few basic ingredients, this is a breakfast or brunch that is always sure to impress!
Delicious Sausage French Toast Roll Ups
I’m always on the hunt for a fun and delicious way to start the day. I like to switch it up! Eggs and toast is only good a few days in a row. This recipe uses ingredients that are already staples in your kitchen and it is surprisingly easy!
I really love this recipe because you can switch up the fillings if you’re like me and enjoy keeping breakfast new and interesting. You can make it sweet, savory, or a beautiful mixture of both like these sausage roll ups drizzled in maple syrup. All I can say is YUM!
What Is French Toast?
Also known as “eggy bread“, this is a tried and true recipe that many of us grew up on. French toast is made from bread soaked in an egg and milk mixture, often spiced with cinnamon, then pan fried and served with sweet toppings.
What do they call French toast in France, do you ask? It is actually called “pain perdu” which means “lost bread”. This comes from the original purpose of the recipe which was to make use of stale bread.
- Breakfast sausages – Make sure to find sausages that are small enough to be rolled up in a typical slice of bread. About 3-4″ is perfect.
- White bread – I used white bread because it’s soft, pliable, and easy to roll. You can use any type of bread that you like, but keep in mind that it needs to roll without cracking.
- Eggs – I used large eggs for this recipe.
- Milk – This helps thin out the egg mixture so it spreads easier over the rolls. You can use cream, or dairy alternatives like almond milk.
- Vanilla – I love to have a little pop of flavor in this recipe. You can use any extract you like.
- Cinnamon – This is the flavor that really makes French toast. You can leave it out completely or use other spices/ herbs depending on whether you’re making a sweet or savory roll up.
- Butter – I always use unsalted butter, especially when using salty breakfast sausages.
How To Make Sausage French Toast Roll Ups
- Cook sausages and roll the bread: Cook the sausages using your preferred method and preferred doneness. I fried them in a skillet. Using a rolling pin, roll the bread until it’s flat. Slice the crusts off with a sharp knife.
- Make the egg mixture: Whisk the eggs, milk, vanilla, and cinnamon together. Place a sausage at the end of a piece of flattened bread and roll it up. Dip the roll up in the egg mixture and make sure all the bread has been coated. Repeat with remaining bread and sausages.
- Cook the roll ups: Melt the butter over medium-high heat. Place the roll ups seam-side down and cook until golden brown. Repeat on all sides. Serve with maple syrup and enjoy!
Other Ingredients You Can Use
There are so many amazing fillings you can put into your roll ups! Feel free to get creative with yours, or try one of these ideas:
- Cream cheese icing
- Cinnamon sugar + butter
- Spinach and ricotta
- Bacon and cheddar
- Sautéed mushrooms and onion
- Figs and prosciutto
- Pacific- smoked salmon, capers, cream cheese, onion
You can always exclude the vanilla and cinnamon from the egg mixture and replace them with some ingredients that compliment your roll ups. Some parmesan and herbs would be great for the savory roll ups, for example. Have fun with them!
Store your roll ups in an airtight container or large zip bag in the fridge. They will last 3-4 days. You can also store them in the freezer for 2-3 months. Freeze them on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper then covered with plastic first for 1 hour, then transfer them to a freezer bag or airtight container so they don’t all freeze in one block.
You can reheat these roll ups in the microwave for 30 second intervals until heated through. You can also preheat your oven to 325F and bake for 10-15 minutes if thawed, and 20-30 minutes if frozen. Feel free to cover them with foil if you don’t want them to dry out.
How To Serve
You’ll be surprised with how filing these roll ups are! I like to serve these with some lighter sides such as:
More Must Try Incredible Breakfast Recipes
- French Toast
- Breakfast Burritos
- Chocolate Waffles
- Quiche Lorraine
- Sausage Potato Breakfast Casserole
- Cinnabons Cinnamon Rolls
- Spinach Ricotta Brunch Bake
- Crescent Bacon Breakfast Ring
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, milk, cinnamon and vanilla extract. Set aside.
- Cook the sausages according to packages instructions.
- Roll each slice of bread flat with a rolling pin then cut off the crusts, carefully.
- Place a sausage at the end of each slice of bread and roll it up. Dip the roll up into the egg mixture then pan fry in a buttered skillet on all sides until golden brown, about 4 minutes. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
- Serve with maple syrup.
Notice: Nutrition is auto-calculated for your convenience. Where relevant, we recommend using your own nutrition calculations.