Last updated on May 16th, 2018 at 02:58 pm
Tex Mex Potato Salad – a classic potato salad gone wild. This is what happens when you take your favorite potato salad and add things to it like chipotle peppers, corn and black beans.
I have to admit I don’t make potato salad often but I do love it, especially for summer barbecues, get togethers and potlucks. Not to mention that I love to have the leftovers for lunch, so so good. But this potato salad is special, so get fiesta ready, things are about to get interesting because we’re about to kick it up a notch.
My favorite ingredient in this recipe has to be the chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, it’s something I started using a few years ago and I absolutely love, they are quite spicy so I normally only use one of the peppers in a recipe and store the rest in an airtight container in the fridge. It’s what I call my gold jar and don’t let anyone touch it, they’re amazing for adding tons of flavor to your food, like in these chipotle chicken stuffed sweet potato skins. In this recipe I used a whole pepper which I finely chopped and then added it to the dressing which is made up of ranch dressing, mayo (I used light mayo) and some onion. Believe it or not, it’s not quite as spicy as you might think so if you’re going for a lot of heat, then by all means use 2 or 3 of these peppers. The more the better, I say.
As in all potato salads, you do have your boiled potatoes and boiled eggs, but what makes this salad better is the black beans, the corn and the tomatoes. I especially love the cherry tomatoes which gives it refreshing and love the sweetness from the corn. I also love to serve this with tortilla chips and make it more like a dip, it really is incredible and perfect for barbecues or picnics.
Trust me, once you try this tex mex potato salad, you won’t want it any other way. This is definitely my go-to potato salad during the summer, all there’s left to do is put some meat on the grill. You with me? I wish you were all my neighbours so you can all come over, oh the parties we’d have!
If you try this recipe, please let us know! Leave a comment, rate it and tag a photo #jocooks on Instagram so we can see it. I always love to see what you guys come up with!
Tex Mex Potato Salad
- 3/4 cup Ranch dressing
- 3/4 cup light mayonnaise
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce chopped finely, canned
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1/4 tsp salt or to taste
- 2 lb potatoes peeled and cubed
- 6 large eggs hard-boiled, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup black beans canned
- 1 cup corn kernels canned
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes quartered
- 2 green onions chopped
- tortilla chips optional
- Cook the potatoes in a large saucepan, covered in enough boiling water, for about 15 minutes or until fork tender. Drain them and let them cool slightly.
- While the potatoes are cooking you can prepare the dressing. In a very large bowl, combine the ranch dressing, mayo and the chopped chipotle pepper. Stir in the onion and season with a bit of salt if necessary.
- To the bowl with the dressing, add the potatoes, chopped boiled eggs, black beans and corn. Stir gently to make sure all the ingredients are coated in the dressing.
- Top with cherry tomatoes and green onions. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and chill for 6 to 24 hours before serving. You can wait to top with tomatoes and green onions until ready to serve.
- Serve with tortilla chips, if preferred.