Baked Breakfast Taquitos – crispy, cheesy, and full of delicious goodness and best of all they’re baked! Taquitos for breakfast! Brilliant!
I’m in love with these taquitos.
They’re so good, I can’t stop eating them. I could have them any time of the day! Seriously.
A taquito literally means small taco. I even love the name, taquito. It sounds so cool. Taquitos are a Mexican food dish consisting of a small rolled up tortilla with some sort of filling such as beef, chicken and cheese. My taquitos are the breakfast kind, so they are filled with eggs, sausage, some peppers and of course some cheddar cheese. Taquitos are also usually fried, but who needs fried taquitos when you can bake them.
I know what you’re thinking, everything is better fried, but trust me here, these taquitos are perfect baked. So call them faux fried taquitos if it makes you feel any better. These taquitos are crispy, cheesy, and full of delicious goodness.
What’s your favorite filling for a good taquito?
- 8 6 inch flour tortillas, whole wheat or white
- 6 eggs
- ½ red bell pepper, chopped
- ½ green bell pepper, chopped
- 12 oz ground pork
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 tbsp butter, melted
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- italian seasoning to taste (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- salsa (optional)
- sour cream (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 F degrees. Lightly butter a baking sheet with the melted butter, I used a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- In a large skillet heat the olive oil. Add ground pork and cook until pork is no longer pink. Drain excess grease if preferred. Add onion and garlic and cook until onion is soft. Add peppers and cook for another minute. Season with italian seasoning and salt and pepper.
- In a bowl whisk the eggs together, then pour over the pork mixture and cook until eggs are scrambled.
- Lay a tortilla flat and top with ⅛ of the mixture then top with some cheddar cheese, about a tbsp or two. Tightly roll up the tortilla and place it in the baking dish. Brush with melted butter. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until tortillas are nicely golden brown.
- Serve with salsa and/or sour cream.
Here are other taquito recipes you might want to try: