Loaded Chicken Mac & Cheese – delicious and comforting mac & cheese made with homemade cheese sauce and loaded with chicken.
I made this Mac & Cheese for dinner tonight. Even my picky husband ate it. Trust me that’s saying a lot. He probably eats pasta 2 or 3 times a year. Every time I make it it’s like I’m force feeding him vegetables.
Isn’t it weird that someone doesn’t like pasta? But not tonight. Tonight I barely finished taking my pictures and he actually asked if he can start eating? I almost fell out of my chair, but I tried to act nonchalant, and said sure. He didn’t complain at all while he was eating, but as he finished, he had to ruin the moment and say that the next time he’ll have pasta is next year. Do you see what I mean? Do you see what I have to deal with?
But then I realized, next year is only 3 weeks away. I’ll get him! Because you know what, I love mac & cheese. Seriously. It’s one of my favorite comfort foods.
It’s perfect for a cold winter night.
It’s soul food.
It makes me happy.
So too bad for him. I still make mac & cheese whenever I crave it.
This mac & cheese is so good though. I loaded it with chicken, and some veggies, and then of course cheese. You’ve got to have lots of gooey cheese. Even the dog loved it. Well that’s probably not saying much, she hasn’t met a dish she hasn’t liked yet. 🙂
But forget the dog, and forget the husband, listen to me. This mac & cheese is good, it’s delicious. So make it and then write me back and tell me how much you loved it. I know you will.
- 1 lb penne pasta (I used elbow pasta and penne pasta, mixed)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut in small pieces
- 1 cup frozen peas
- ½ red bell pepper, chopped in small pieces
- ½ yellow bell pepper, chopped in small pieces
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups skim milk
- 3 tbsp all purpose flour
- 12 oz mozzarella cheese
- 8 oz mex blend cheese
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 375 F degrees.
- Cook pasta according to package instructions.
- In the meantime heat the olive oil in a large skillet. Add onions, garlic and chicken breast and mix. Cook for 3 minutes, then add bell pepper and peas. Mix and cook until chicken is cooked through and starting to slightly brown. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- In a sauce pan, bring milk to a boil. Add flour and whisk until it begins to thicken. Add 2 thirds of the mozzarella cheese and half of the mex blend cheese to the milk and continue whisking until mixture thickens and is bubbling.
- Pour cheese mixture over the chicken and veggies, then add the pasta. Toss everything together. Pour the pasta mixture in a baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella cheese and mex blend cheese, then sprinkle the breadcrumbs.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the top is brown.