One of our favorite restaurants is Montana’s which is a steak house in Canada. Their food is great but the reason we like going there is for their antojitos. Now we haven’t been there in a while but we missed these antojitos.
So now I had a mission. I wanted to make these at home and make them as close as possible to the real ones. If you’ve never had antojitos and don’t know what they are, well basically they are Mexican street snack foods, and translated the word antojito means little whim. Antojitos are not a full meal, usually just an appetizer.
Now these antojitos are quite spicy, there’s hot sauce in them and a jalapeno pepper. But boy, are they ever good! I love these antojitos, we used to go to Montana’s almost every weekend just to have these.
But now I can make them whenever I want. They are to die for! I know I’ve said I don’t eat too spicy before, but I make an exception for these antojitos. The ingredients are so simple, so it wasn’t too big a challenge to duplicate the recipe, basically it’s cream cheese, red peppers, green peppers, jalapeno and hot sauce. You mix all that together and spread it over a tortilla. I also added a bit of cheddar cheese for a little extra cheesy flavor and BANG!
My husband said they tasted just like the restaurant version. I couldn’t agree more. I succeeded in this little quest of mine.
- 3 large tortillas
- 1 pkg (8 oz) cream cheese
- ¼ cup Frank's hot sauce
- ½ red bell pepper, chopped in small pieces
- ½ green bell pepper, chopped in small pieces
- 1 jalapeno pepper, chopped in small pieces
- ¼ cup bread crumbs
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350 F degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl add cream cheese, bread crumbs and hot sauce. Mix with a fork until cream cheese has softened. Add the peppers and mix them in well with the cream cheese.
- Spread the cream cheese mixture over each tortilla, ⅓ of the mixture for each tortilla, and sprinkle ⅓ of the cheddar cheese on each tortilla. Roll up the tortillas and cut them into 1 inch slices.
- Place the slices on the baking sheet.
- Bake at 350 F degrees for 10 minutes, then for another 3 minutes under the broiler.
- Serve with salsa or sour cream.