Last updated on May 31st, 2018 at 10:29 am
These Easy Cheesy Cauliflower Tots are gluten free, low carb and totally delicious! These tots are the perfect little healthy snack that will please even the most picky eaters.
If you guys love my cheesy cauliflower breadsticks, you will love these cauliflower tots. Cauliflower crust or breadsticks have been insanely popular over the past few years, mostly because they’re gluten free and low in carbs. Many of you have commented and told me that even the picky eaters in your families have enjoyed these breadsticks, or you tricked them and they had no idea they were eating cauliflower crust. That in itself is amazing!
I wanted to make another similar recipe because of how popular the breadsticks are and all the questions around the breadsticks which I’m hoping to address some of your concerns here. I also made a video (scroll down for it) to show you how simple this really is to make.
One of the biggest issue you guys have had is saying that there is too much liquid in the mixture. I wanted to address that concern and tell you that it’s ok, the cauliflower tots will still hold their shape as you bake them. In the video you can even see that there is some liquid in my mixture as well, but because of the eggs, they will not break apart. The eggs are a vital ingredient here as its purpose is to bind the cauliflower together.
Of course you could always squeeze out the liquid from the cauliflower by using a clean cheesecloth, but I didn’t find it necessary, however, like I said keep this in mind, it’s still an option. Another issue you guys were having is with the mixture sticking to the parchment paper. I’m not sure how it gets stuck to parchment paper, it really shouldn’t, but you could always use a silpat which is a non-stick silicone baking mat, nothing ever sticks to a silpat.
Some of you also found the mixture a bit too eggy, I have no issues with it being eggy and I didn’t find it eggy at all, but if you do or don’t like the taste of eggs, you could just use egg whites, but again the eggs are an important ingredient here, so I wouldn’t skip the egg whites as you will be risking the tots or cauliflower crust not holding its shape at all.
The other concern is the amount of cheese increasing the calorie count, and yes I totally agree with you. You can always cut back on the cheese, you don’t need to use as much. You could even just use some Parmesan cheese instead, or whatever low fat cheese you prefer. However, these cauliflower tots are only 32 calories per tot, so not too shabby if you ask me. And wouldn’t hey make an awesome snack for game day? Trust me, those guys would never guess they’re eating something healthy!
The possibilities are endless with these tots, mainly because you can serve them with all sorts of dips. For example they would be great on a platter with Baked Zucchini Chips and tzatziki, or queso dip. You could even serve them with chili sauce or plum sauce, however if you do, I’d skip the Italian seasoning in them.
If you try this recipe, please let us know! Leave a comment, rate it and tag a photo #jocooks on Instagram so we can see it. I always love to see what you guys come up with!
Cheesy Cauliflower Tots
- Preheat your oven to 425 F degrees. Prepare a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Chop the cauliflower into small florets and add them to your food processor. Pulse a few times until the cauliflower resembles rice.
- Place the cauliflower in a microwavable container and cover with lid. Microwave for 10 minutes. Place the microwaved cauliflower in a large bowl and let it cool for about 5 minutes.
- Add the cheeses, garlic, Italian seasoning, eggs, salt and pepper to the cauliflower and stir everything together until well incorporated.
- Take about a tablespoon of the cauliflower mixture and form it into little tots, then place them on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with all the remaining cauliflower.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until golden brown. I usually place them under the broiler for a couple minutes to get that nice golden color.
- Serve with pizza sauce, sour cream, ketchup or ranch dip.
★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!