This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Brunch is served with this recipe for Banana Bread French Toast! Made with thick slices of banana nut bread and doused in decadent caramelized bananas, this easy recipe seems too good to be true.
Banana Bread French Toast
I have been dreaming about making a banana bread French toast for ages. You can make this French toast with my recipe for banana nut bread, regular banana bread, or you can use store bought banana bread, of course. The piece de resistance in this recipe really is the caramelized bananas. If you’ve never had caramelized bananas you have to try them. They are to die for!
I do have to say though that in my humble opinion I do make the best banana bread. So I really recommend you make it yourself, and if you do make and are lucky enough to have some leftover slices, well then you must make this banana bread french toast because it’s the bomb!
Ingredients in Banana Bread French Toast
- Banana bread – You can use homemade or store bought.
- Eggs – I used large eggs.
- Heavy cream – You can use regular milk or any percentage of cream than you have handy.
- Honey – You can use regular sugar, but I find honey much easier to dissolve into the mixture.
- Salt – Just a bit of salt will help bring out all the flavors.
- Butter – I prefer to use unsalted butter. Margarine will also work.
- Icing sugar – This is totally optional, but I love to dust some powdered sugar over my French toast once it’s all done.
- Bananas – Since these will be caramelized, even unripened bananas will work.
- Brown sugar – This will give you a nice and fast caramel versus regular sugar.
How to Make Banana Bread French Toast
- Make the egg mixture: Whisk the eggs, cream, honey, and salt in a shallow dish. Heat the butter in a skillet over medium heat.
- Make the French toast: Soak a slice, or two if they’ll fit in your skillet, of the banana bread in the egg mixture for 20 seconds per side. Add the slice(s) to the skillet and cook for 3-4 minutes per side, or until golden brown. Repeat with remaining slices.
How to Make Caramelized Bananas
- Melt the butter and sugar: Add the butter to the same skillet used for the French toast. Sprinkle the sugar over the butter once it has melted.
- Caramelize the bananas: Lay the banana slices over the sugar and let them cook until browned, about 2-3 minutes. Flip the banana slices and cook for another 2-3 minutes. Spoon the caramelized bananas and sauce over your French Toast and enjoy!
What Else Can I Serve on Banana Bread French Toast?
Looking to switch up the topping for your French toast? It’ll go amazing with something simple and classic like whipped cream or maple syrup. You can also try out a berry sauce, Nutella, peanut butter, cream cheese icing, fresh fruit. You name it!
Give some of these great ideas a try:
- Sausage French Toast Roll Ups
- French Toasted Egg In a Hole
- Classic French Toast
- Strawberry Cream Cheese Roll Ups
How to Store Leftovers
Store leftovers either in an airtight container, a freezer bag, or wrapped in plastic in the fridge up to 2 days. They can be reheated in the microwave, a skillet, or in a toaster.
If you’d like to freeze the leftovers, stack the French toast with a piece of parchment paper between each slice. Store them either in an airtight container or a large freezer bag. They will last up to 2 months. Microwave or a toaster will work best for reheating.
More Must Try Breakfast Recipes!
- How To Make Crepes
- Maple Ricotta Stuffed Crepes
- Banana Fritters
- Zucchini Bread
- Cream Cheese Filled Banana Cake
- Berry Brioche Bread Pudding
- Easy Waffle Recipe
- Blueberry Buttermilk Pancakes
- Blueberry Muffins
Looking for more recipes? Follow on...
Banana Bread French Toast with Caramelized Bananas
- 4 slices banana bread 2.5 cm, at least 1 inch in thickness
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp butter unsalted
- icing sugar for dusting over French toast
- 2 large bananas sliced
- 2 tbsp butter unsalted
- 1 tbsp brown sugar packed
- In a 8x8 cake pan add the eggs, heavy cream, honey, salt and whisk together well.
- Place a skillet on your stove over medium-low heat, add 1 tbsp of the butter and melt.
- While butter is melting soak 2 of the banana bread slices in the egg mixture, turn over after 30 seconds and soak on the other side for another 30 seconds.
- Once the butter is melted and skillet is hot, add the 2 slices to the skillet and cook for about 3 or 4 minutes. After 3 or 4 minutes take a peek and see if the French toast is golden brown, if it has flip each slice carefully and continue cooking until this side is golden brown, another 3 or so minutes, making sure to watch it closely so it doesn't burn. Remove from skillet.
- Soak the remaining 2 slices of bread and repeat the process to cook these last 2 slices.
- In the same skillet, prepare the caramelized bananas. Add the 2 tbsp of butter and wait until it melts then sprinkle the tbsp of brown sugar over the surface of the skillet.
- Add the banana slices over the brown sugar, and cook for a couple minutes until the bottom of the banana get golden brown. Flip each slice over and cook for another 2 or 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Dust the banana bread French toast with some icing sugar then spoon the caramelized bananas over the slices and serve.
- You can certainly whisk the eggs and the heavy cream in a bowl, but it's easier to soak the banana bread slices in a 8x8 cake pan vs a bowl.
- Store leftovers either in an airtight container, a freezer bag, or wrapped in plastic in the fridge up to 2 days. They can be reheated in the microwave, a skillet, or in a toaster.
- If you'd like to freeze the leftovers, stack the French toast with a piece of parchment paper between each slice. Store them either in an airtight container or a large freezer bag. They will last up to 2 months. Microwave or a toaster will work best for reheating.
- Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on products used.