This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Introducing the ultimate Chili Dogs with a Cincinnati twist! These are no ordinary hot dogs! First grilled to perfection and then nestled into a toasted bun, these beauties are then topped with incredibly flavorful and aromatic Cincinnati chili, lots of gooey cheese, and onions! Quick and easy to make, these chili dogs are sure to be a hit!
Best Chili Dogs
Chili dogs are a beloved comfort food that combines the deliciousness of a juicy hot dog with the warm heartiness of ground beef chili! Topped with plenty of shredded cheese and chopped onions, they are one of my favorite indulgences. But you don’t have to go to a sporting event or diner to enjoy this American classic. With this easy chili dogs recipe, you can treat your family to this American favorite right at home.
And let me tell you, my chili dogs are no ordinary fare. Forget the canned chili! I top my dogs with my Cincinnati chili infused with a blend of Mediterranean spices like cinnamon and allspice. When combined with the savory goodness of a hot dog and melty cheddar cheese, this chili makes the best chili dogs you’ll ever have. So, whether you’re hosting a backyard barbecue, cheering on your favorite team, or simply want to treat yourself, chili dogs are the answer.
Why You’ll Love These Chili Dogs
- Quick and Easy! All you need is a handful of simple ingredients and about 20 minutes to make these yummy dogs! The chili just needs to be heated and the hot dogs grilled. The rest is simply nestling everything into the bun. It’s a delicious hassle-free recipe.
- Classic Comfort Food! The combination of a juicy hot dog topped with rich and flavorful Cincinnati chili, gooey cheese, and zingy onions is unforgettably good.
- Crowd Favorite! When it comes to pleasing a crowd, chili dogs are a surefire hit. The versatility of toppings allows each person to customize their own. Whether served at family gatherings, barbecues, or parties, these tasty dogs leave everyone satisfied.
- Hot Dogs – The star ingredient! You can use beef, chicken, turkey, or even vegetarian hot dogs, depending on your dietary preferences.
- Hot Dog Buns – Soft and slightly toasted buns, perfectly hold the hot dogs and toppings.
- Cincinnati Chili – The highlight of the recipe, it adds a delicious twist to the traditional hot dog experience. In a pinch, you can use canned chili, but I highly recommend using my homemade hot dog chili recipe!
- Cheddar Cheese – Provides a yummy layer of gooey cheese on top of the chili.
- Onions – Chopped raw yellow onion adds a burst of pungent flavor and texture.
- Mustard – This ingredient is optional, but it adds a nice tangy kick. You can also use other condiments like ketchup and hot sauce.
Making homemade chili dogs is super quick and easy! All it takes is a handful of simple ingredients, a hot grill, and a little love. In just about 20 minutes, you’ll have a plate full of delicious hot dogs ready to be devoured.
Start by firing up your grill or heating your grill pan to medium-high heat. This step ensures that the hot dogs will cook evenly and develop those irresistible grill marks. If you’re using a grill, don’t forget to oil your grill grates.
Next, get the dogs cooking! Place the hot dogs on the preheated grill and cook them for about 5 to 7 minutes, rotating them occasionally to ensure they brown evenly on all sides.
Once you grill the hot dogs to perfection, place the hot dog buns directly on the grill, cut side down. Then allow them to toast for about 1 to 2 minutes or until they become a light golden brown color. Now, is also a good time to warm up that chili in a small pot on the stovetop or simply pop it in the microwave.
With the hot dog buns now toasted, it’s time for the exciting part! Take each grilled hotdog and place it inside a bun. Then give the chili a stir and ladle a generous amount of it on top of each hot dog, followed by a sprinkle of cheddar cheese and chopped onions. Finally, for those who crave an extra kick, add a drizzle of mustard to complete the dogs, and then serve!
You can also place these hot dogs under the broiler if you like your melty cheese, just for around 2 to 3 minutes until that cheese gets all nice and gooey.
Frequently Asked Questions
What’s the difference between chili and Coney dogs?
In this case, these Cincinnati chili dogs are the same thing as Coney dogs, which are known for being topped with chili infused with classic Greek spices. However, don’t confuse Coney dogs with Coney Island hot dogs, which originated on Coney Island in New York state.
What is the best chili to use for chili dogs?
When it comes to chili dogs, there is a diverse array of chili options to choose from, with Cincinnati chili being one of the most popular choices. However, you can use any type of chili you like, including vegetarian chili.
What is the difference between hot dog chili and regular chili?
Chili made specifically for topping hot dogs is typically a simpler and milder version of regular chili. It also usually has a smoother texture that has been thinned out with beef broth and does not include beans.
- Choose quality ingredients. The key to outstanding chili dogs starts with quality ingredients. Using premium hot dogs, fresh buns, and homemade Cincinnati chili will elevate the overall taste.
- Prevent soggy buns. Don’t skip toasting the buns. It not only adds another layer of texture but also creates a barrier that prevents them from becoming soggy when loaded with chili.
- Add some heat. Stir an additional teaspoon of chili powder or a pinch of cayenne pepper into your chili to add more spice.
- Get creative with toppings. You can experiment with different cheeses, diced avocado, crumbled bacon, tomatoes, pickles, garlic, red kidney beans, sour cream, and jalapeños just to name a few.
- Make a double batch. When making the chili, double the recipe and freeze half of it to have it ready to go for your next party.
To store leftover chili dogs, start by placing the chili and hot dogs in separate airtight containers. Then put them in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months. When ready to indulge again, simply reheat them in the microwave or on the stovetop. However, if frozen, allow them to thaw out overnight in the fridge before reheating.
Other Delicious Recipes To Try
- Mini Corn Dogs
- Grilled Bratwurst
- Pigs In A Blanket
- BLT Sandwich
- Grilled Chicken Sandwich
- Meatball Subs
- Preheat your grill or grill pan to medium-high heat.
- Grill the hot dogs for 5-7 minutes, or until they are browned and heated through.
- While the hot dogs are grilling, heat the Cincinnati chili in a small pot or microwave.
- Toast the hot dog buns on the grill for 1-2 minutes, or until they are lightly browned.
- Place a grilled hot dog in each bun and top with a generous amount of Cincinnati chili.
- Sprinkle the shredded cheddar cheese and chopped onions over the top of the chili. Add mustard, if desired. You can also place the chili dogs under the broiler for 2 to 3 minutes to melt the cheese, if desired.
- Chili Options: Feel free to use your favorite homemade chili recipe or a high-quality canned chili if you’re short on time.
- Topping Choices: Customize your chili dogs with toppings like shredded cheese, diced onions, or even jalapeños for a spicy kick.
- Bun Selection: Toasting the buns slightly will add a nice crunch and help hold the chili better. Using bakery-fresh buns can elevate the entire dish.
- Serving Suggestions: Chili dogs pair wonderfully with classic sides like coleslaw, fries, or a simple garden salad.
- Meat Alternatives: Vegetarian or looking to switch things up? Substitute the traditional hot dog with a meat-free version or a different type of sausage that suits your taste.
Notice: Nutrition is auto-calculated for your convenience. Where relevant, we recommend using your own nutrition calculations.