What happens when you combine the cheesy gooeyness of pizza and the flaky tortilla from quesadillas? I give you, Pizzadillas! These babies are that perfect appetizer for those annual sporting events and also make for a fun night of pizza-building at home with the family ! Either way, this simple 30 minute recipe will definitely be a crowd pleaser!
This is a fantastic recipe that everyone is going to want to join in on! Call it a pizza party with a twist! And just like all variations of pizza, you can pick and choose whichever ingredients suit you best! Today I’m keeping it simple with pepperoni, fresh green pepper, and a whole lot of cheese – what can I say, I like my pizza cheesy!
What’s not to like about the idea of putting pizza and quesadillas together? It’s simple, tasty as can be, and ready to be devoured in 30 minutes. And if you need another reason, I always say it’s almost like eating a healthier version of pizza! Are you with me? Let’s get started!
What Is A Pizzadilla?
The idea behind a Pizzadilla is taking any and all of your regular favorite pizza toppings folding them into a tortilla shell in place of pizza dough. You are welcome to use any brand or version of tortilla you like, and if you’re trying to stay on the healthier side of this recipe, corn tortillas are a great substitution for wheat tortillas – although I’ll warn you they do not fold over as nicely as the wheat versions!
- Pizza sauce – Any store bought brand will work, use your favorite.
- Flour tortillas – You’re welcome to choose any variation or brand you prefer, I know there are a lot of options!
- Mozzarella – Shredded, store bought prepackaged, will do if it’s all you can find!
- Bocconcini – You’ll typically find these in ball form – cut them into slices, you can also just use fresh mozzarella.
- Green pepper – Today I used a green pepper, chopped.
- Pepperoni sticks – Sliced, please! These can also be bough prepackaged and already sliced.
- Basil – Because would it be Italian cuisine without it?
- Dipping sauce – Extra pizza sauce will work great as a dipping sauce, but you’re welcome to use ranch, caesar dressing or any dip of your choice!
How To Make Pizzadillas
- Prepare: Chop the green pepper, shred and slice the cheese and un-package or slice the pepperoni. Next, finely chop the basil; set aside.
- Preheat: Prepare your panini maker or skillet by using cooking spray or cooking oil; begin heating.
- Build: Using a spoon or spatula, spread the pizza sauce over half the tortilla. Next, sprinkle about 1/2 cup of mozzarella over the pizza sauce and follow with 1/4 portion of pepperoni and green pepper. Finish with about 1/4 of the bocconcini. Repeat will remaining tortillas and ingredients.
- Grill: Fold over the other half of the tortilla to create a half circle, and press down. Place onto the prepared panini press or skillet and grill. If using a skillet, grill for about 2 -3 minutes on each side or until both are golden brown.
Other Ingredients You Can Add
This list is endless you guys, and you can get as creative as you like! All it requires you to do is think about your favorite pizza! Here are some other great combinations:
- Ham and pineapple
- Sausage, red pepper, and red onion
- Pepperoni, mushroom, and green pepper
- Spinach, mushroom, and feta
- Bacon, ham, and pepperoni
- Chicken, tomato, and bbq sauce
- Spinach and artichoke
You can also use whichever cheesy options you prefer! There are a ton out there so have fun with it!
How To Store Leftovers
Pizzadillas will last in the fridge for up to 4 days and in the freezer for up to 2 months. Something to keep in mind; the tortilla is going to be a lot thinner than a typical pizza crust, so placing it on parchment paper then into a storage container will be best for when it comes time for reheating!
How To Reheat
I recommend reheating in the oven – to avoid a really soggy microwaved tortilla! This is where the parchment paper that you stored with comes in handy as all you need to do is pull it out entirely, place on a baking sheet, and put into the oven. Bake at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes and you’re good to go!
Check Out My Other Delicious Recipes!
- Buffalo Chicken Quesadillas
- Grilled Vegetable Quesadillas
- Breakfast Quesadillas
- Shrimp Fiesta Quesadillas
- Salmon Quesadillas
- Chimichurri Steak Quesadillas
- Chicken Enchilada Quesadillas
- Pork and Balsamic Onion Quesadillas
- Steak Fajitas
Looking for more recipes? Follow on…
- Preheat your panini maker and spray it with some cooking oil. If using a skillet, spray with cooking oil and heat it.
- Spread 1 tbsp of pizza sauce over half a tortilla. Sprinkle about 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese over the sauce. Top with 1/4 of the pepperoni slices and 1/4 of the chopped green peppers. Top with 1/4 of the bocconcini, I used about 3 sliced baby bocconcini per pizzadilla. Flip over the other half of the tortilla to form half a circle and press down.
- You can use a panini press to grill the quesadilla, otherwise place the quesadilla in the prepared skillet and grill it on both sides until golden brown, about 2 to 3 minutes per side.
- Repeat with remaining tortillas and ingredients.
- Cut each pizzadilla in half and garnish with chopped basil. Serve with pizza sauce for dipping.
- You can use any pizza toppings that you like best for this recipe. Feel free to be creative.
- Bocconcini are small balls of fresh mozzarella cheese. You can find them in various sizes.
- Pizzadillas will last in the fridge for up to 4 days and in the freezer for up to 2 months. Something to keep in mind; the tortilla is going to be a lot thinner than a typical pizza crust, so placing it on parchment paper then into a storage container will be best for when it comes time for reheating!
- Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on products used.