Last updated on May 9th, 2018 at 02:23 pm
Waldorf Chicken Salad – a classic salad that will surely hit the spot, packed with chicken, apples, pears and grapes and a creamy and delicious dressing.
I remember I had my first Waldorf about 20 years ago at a restaurant and absolutely loved the crunchiness of the apples, the creaminess and just loved the fact that it had fruits and chicken all mixed together. I thought it was brilliant. According to google the first Waldorf salad was created by a maître d’hôtel, Oscar Tschirky in 1896 and it only contained apples, celery and mayonnaise.
Since then there have been many variations of this popular salad and this is my favorite way to have it.
My salad is loaded with crisp apples, pears, grapes, celery, raisins, walnuts with a creamy dressing made with Greek yogurt and mayonnaise and served over a fresh bed of lettuce. This chicken Waldorf salad is an incredible salad perfect for lunch and sometimes I even have it for dinner.
The dressing can be either made with just yogurt or just mayonnaise, it all depends on what your preference is. My favorite thing about this salad is that you can also make a sandwich with it, just add some to a freshly baked croissant or your favorite bread.
If you love this recipe, try these!
If you try this recipe, please let us know! Leave a comment, rate it and tag a photo #jocooks on Instagram so we can see it. I always love to see what you guys come up with!
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise low-fat
- 1 large apple chopped (like Granny Smith)
- 1 Bosc pear peeled, cored and diced
- 1 cup grapes seedless, halved
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 1 cup chicken breast chopped
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup walnuts chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/4 tsp pepper or to taste
- 1 Romaine lettuce washed, dried and chopped
- Combine lemon juice, Greek yogurt, mayonnaise in a small bowl and whisk well.
- Add the chopped apple, pear, grapes, celery, chicken, raisins and walnuts to a large bowl and toss. Pour the prepared yogurt dressing over the salad and toss well. Season with salt and pepper as needed.
- Serve over the Romaine lettuce. Refrigerate leftovers.
You can also make sandwiches with this salad and turn it into a chicken salad sandwich with your favorite bread or fresh croissants.
I used Granny Smith apples for this recipe, but you can use whichever type you like.
Bosc pears can be found at most grocery stores. They are more brown in colour that a regular green pear. You can use whichever type you prefer.
Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on products used.
★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!
Products you may need for this recipe: