This Waldorf Salad is a classic salad that will surely hit the spot, packed with chicken, apples, pears and grapes and a creamy and delicious dressing.
I remember I had my first Waldorf salad about 20 years ago at a restaurant. I absolutely loved the crunchiness of the apples, the creaminess and just loved the fact that it had fruits and chicken all mixed together. It was brilliant.
WHAT IS WALDORF SALAD
According to google the first Waldorf salad was created by a maître d’hôtel, Oscar Tschirky in 1896 and it only contained apples, celery and mayonnaise. Basically, a Waldorf salad is a salad made with fruits and nuts such as fresh apples, celery, grapes and walnuts.
Since then there have been many variations of this popular salad and this is my favorite way to have it.
WHAT INGREDIENTS ARE IN WALDORF SALAD
My salad is loaded with crisp apples, pears, grapes, celery, raisins, and walnuts with a creamy dressing. The dressing is made with Greek yogurt and mayonnaise. To make this salad stand out, serve it over a fresh bed of lettuce. This chicken Waldorf salad is an incredible salad perfect for lunch. Similarly, it’s also perfect for dinner.
You can make this salad with yogurt or mayonnaise, it all depends on what your preference is. My favorite thing about this salad is that you can also make a sandwich with it, just add some to a freshly baked croissant or your favorite bread.
HOW TO MAKE WALDORF SALAD
To make this easy Waldorf salad, simply start by preparing all your ingredients first. Chop your fruits, chicken, celery and lettuce. Next toss everything together in a large bowl.
Prepare the dressing by combining the lemon juice, yogurt and mayonnaise in a bowl. Simply pour the dressing over the salad and toss.
Serve over Romain lettuce.
LOOKING FOR MORE SALAD RECIPES? TRY THESE:
- Knockout Chicken Salad Sandwiches
- Avocado Egg Salad Wraps
- Tex Mex Potato Salad
- Easy Thai Steak Salad
- California Quinoa Salad
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise low-fat
- 1 large apple chopped (like Granny Smith)
- 1 Bosc pear peeled, cored and diced
- 1 cup grapes seedless, halved
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 1 cup chicken breast chopped
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup walnuts chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/4 tsp pepper or to taste
- 1 Romaine lettuce washed, dried and chopped
- Combine lemon juice, Greek yogurt, mayonnaise in a small bowl and whisk well.
- Add the chopped apple, pear, grapes, celery, chicken, raisins and walnuts to a large bowl and toss. Pour the prepared yogurt dressing over the salad and toss well. Season with salt and pepper as needed.
- Serve over the Romaine lettuce. Refrigerate leftovers.
- You can also make sandwiches with this salad and turn it into a chicken salad sandwich with your favorite bread or fresh croissants.
- I used Granny Smith apples for this recipe, but you can use whichever type you like.
- Bosc pears can be found at most grocery stores. They are more brown in colour that a regular green pear. You can use whichever type you prefer.
- Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on products used.
Products you may need for this recipe: