This Chicken Enchilada Quinoa bake is gluten free, packed with protein and loads of cheese. This casserole is a true crowd-pleaser. If you’re a fan of traditional enchiladas, you’ll love this slightly healthier version.
So it’s snowing again. Earlier in the day I was sitting on my deck enjoying the sun warming my face and now it’s snowing. Oh well, I keep pretending it’s summer. It’s bound to get here eventually.
Anywho, I want to talk to you about quinoa and how I feel about it. I have to be honest and say I’m not a huge fan, but I understand it’s good for you. Unlike rice or pasta, it’s gluten-free, it’s high in protein, a great source of riboflavin and helps with weight management. So as you can see it’s kind of like a superfood. And because of these reasons I try and include it in our diet, regardless of how much the hand model hates it.
In order to make quinoa more tasty and to somehow hide it in what I cook, what better way to do it than with chicken enchilada. I for one love chicken enchilada and sometimes one could say I’m obsessed with it. So regardless how I feel about quinoa, in this chicken enchilada quinoa bake, you won’t even know it’s there.
With just a few simple ingredients you can make this sososo delicious dish. Lots of chicken enchilada goodness under a yummy layer of cheese, how can one go wrong? And after you bake it for a few minutes all you gotta do is dig in and enjoy! Your tummy will thank you.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups cooked quinoa, white or red (I used red)
- 1 cooked chicken breast, shredded
- ½ can (15 oz can) black beans
- 3 tbsp canned chopped green chiles I used
- 1½ cups enchilada sauce (from 19-oz can) I used Old El Paso
- ½ cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup Mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Spray 8-inch square ceramic or broiler-proof baking dish with cooking spray.
- Heat a medium size skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil and onion; cook 5 minutes or until onion is soft.
- Reduce heat to low. Add quinoa, chicken, black beans, green chiles, and the enchilada sauce; stir to combine. Remove from heat.
- Stir in cheddar cheese. Transfer quinoa mixture to prepared baking dish. Top evenly with pepper Mozzarella cheese.
- Bake 10 to 15 minutes.
- Turn oven control to broil and broil 1 to 2 minutes or until cheese is golden and bubbly. Remove from broiler. Top with sour cream and cilantro. Serve immediately.