Baked Chicken Fajita Taquitos – what happens when you put chicken fajitas and taquitos together? You end up with chicken fajita taquitos! Baked!
Do you all feel like summer is over now? Kids are back to school, trees are turning yellow, nights are cooler. Last night we left the window wide open in the bedroom and before long we had to wake up and close it because I love summers too much and I hate to see them end, but it’s inevitable, summers will end. Anyway, it’s not over just yet so I’m going to enjoy every minute of it.
I made these breakfast taquitos a few weeks ago, and my husband and I just loved them. So I wanted to try a different version, so I thought long and hard, long and hard and realized that chicken fajitas is one of my favorite dishes. What better way than to merge these two and this is how chicken fajita taquitos were born…at least at my house. 🙂
Looking for more recipes? Follow on...
Chicken Fajita Taquitos
- 12 6 " flour tortillas
- 2 medium onions
- 2 chicken breasts boneless and skinless
- 2 bell peppers any color
- 3 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp fajita mix
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 1/4 cup butter melted
- Clean and chop up the onion into long strips. Slice the peppers into long thin strips. Clean and slice the chicken breasts into long thin strips and place in a bowl.
- Add a tbsp of the fajita mix to the chicken breast and mix well.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tbsp of the butter and add the chicken to it. Cook the chicken for 5 to 10 minutes until it's fully cooked and no longer pink, and it's slightly charred, but not burned.
- Remove chicken from skillet, and wipe the skillet clean.
- Add the other 2 tbsp of butter to the skillet and heat it up. Add the onion and cook for a couple minutes until it's slightly translucent. Add the peppers and the fajita mix and mix well. Cook for a couple more minutes so the peppers cook slightly. Add the chicken to the skillet, mix with peppers and onions and cook for a minute.
- Preheat oven to 400 F degrees. Lightly butter a baking sheet with the melted butter, I used a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- Lay a tortilla flat and top some chicken fajita mixutre then top with some cheddar cheese, about a tbsp or two. Tightly roll up the tortilla and place it in the baking dish. Brush with melted butter. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until tortillas are nicely golden brown.
- Serve with salsa and/or sour cream.
Here are other taquito recipes you might want to try: