This easy Deviled Egg Macaroni Salad recipe tastes just like deviled eggs, super creamy and loaded with celery, olives, pickles and red onion. Quick, delicious and ready in 30 minutes!
This pasta salad is a match made in heaven! The delicious creamy flavor of deviled eggs paired with a macaroni salad loaded with goodies? You’re going to be the hit of every barbecue you go to in the summer! You have to give this a try, especially if you have lots of eggs leftover. This recipe makes such great use of them and this also makes a perfect side dish.
Just look at how incredibly creamy this macaroni salad is. No dry pasta in my kitchen! I always make sure to load my pasta salads up with homemade dressing so even if you make it a day or two ahead of time, each bite will still be nicely coated.
For this recipe you will need:
- Large eggs
- Elbow macaroni
- Salt & pepper
- Dijon mustard
- Pickles (I used dill but sweet will work)
- Red onion
- Black olives
- Smoked paprika
You can swap the macaroni out for other small types of pasta. Small shells, farfalle, rotini, etc will work for this salad.
Not a fan of dijon mustard? Regular yellow mustard will work just as well!
What else can I add?
I like to throw a lot of ingredients in this recipe like pickles, red onion, celery and black olives. Some people don’t like celery in their macaroni salads, so if that’s you, then simply don’t add them. I personally like the extra crunch you get from the celery. I love the saltiness that the pickles and olives give this salad. With a heavier and creamier dressing, that bit of zing really helps keep those flavors alive.
Of course, this is your salad, so you can make it however you like! Here are a few ideas for mix-ins that would be great in this recipe:
- Cherry tomatos
- Bell pepper
- Pickled hot peppers
- Feta cheese
How to make Deviled Egg Macaroni Salad
- Cook the pasta: Use the box as a guide and cook according to package instructions. Rinse well with cold water after straining.
- Prepare the eggs: Peel your eggs and cut them in half. Scoop out the yolks and set them aside in a bowl. Chop the whites into pieces.
- Prepare the dressing: Mash the yolks with a fork until smooth. Season them with salt and pepper, then add the mustard and mayo. Stir everything until well combined.
- Prep the mix-ins: Chop the rest of the ingredients into small bites.
- Assemble the salad: Add the macaroni to a large mixing bowl. Add the dressing, egg whites, the rest of your mix-ins, and paprika. Mix everything until evenly coated in the dressing.
- Garnish and serve: Sprinkle the salad with smoke paprika and chives, then enjoy!
- Rinse the pasta: After you strain your noodles, rinse them well with cold water. This will halt the cooking process and prevent your macaroni from sticking together and forming a huge noodle blob.
- Peeling the eggs: For easier peeling, transfer the eggs straight from the boiling water to an ice bath. This will cause the hardboiled egg to shrink inside its shell. Once they’ve fully cooled, give the eggs a quick tap around the circumference and peel.
- Use a variety of mix-ins: When choosing what I want to add to my macaroni salad, I look for a few factors: crunch, salt, and tang. Using pickled veggies is such a great way to brighten the dish up.
- Chill before serving: Let everything hang out together in the fridge for at least one hour before serving. When those ingredients get to sit together, the flavors get even better!
How to serve
Who else thinks of BBQ when they look at a macaroni salad? I do! Try serving this macaroni salad with some of these recipes:
Store this salad in an airtight container up to 5 days in the fridge. If you’re making this ahead of time, you can store it in a bowl that is well covered with plastic wrap. While you can freeze this if you want, it is best served fresh. The pasta and veggies may become mushy after being frozen and thawed.
Try These Other Delicious Salad Recipes:
- Italian Pasta Salad
- Mexican Chicken and Rice Salad
- Mexican Street Corn Salad
- Chicken Ranch Pasta Salad
- Tex Mex Potato Salad
- Macaroni Salad with Prosciutto
- Broccoli Salad
Looking for more recipes? Follow on…
Deviled Egg Macaroni Salad
- Peel the eggs and cut them in half to remove the egg yolks. Transfer all the egg yolks to a bowl, and chop up the egg whites and set aside.
- Cook the macaroni according to the package instructions. Drain the water and rinse with cold water. I do this to cool the pasta a bit. Set aside.
- Mash up the egg yolks with a fork, then season with salt and pepper. Add more salt and pepper as per your taste. Add the mustard and mayonnaise to the egg yolks and stir everything together until well combined.
- Add the macaroni to a large bowl, then add the egg yolk mixture, the chopped egg whites, pickles, onion, celery, olives and paprika. Stir well until combined. Taste for seasoning and adjust as necessary.
- Garnish with more paprika and chives.