Last updated on June 25th, 2018 at 09:36 pm
These Scalloped Sweet Potatoes are so creamy and delicious. Loaded with bacon, four types of cheese, and perfectly spiced, they’re the ultimate side dish for your holiday or winter meals!
The delicious cheese and bacon aroma that will take over your kitchen as you bake these scalloped sweet potatoes will surely drive you crazy. I know, because that’s what happened to me. But besides the crazy good aroma, these sweet potatoes are incredible, not to mention they are the perfect side dish for your Thanksgiving dinner table.
They are also pretty easy to make, all you really need to do is layer the ingredients and bake. This is a huge casserole that will generously feed 12 people. I used about 2 lbs of sweet potatoes, but use more or less as needed, it also depends on the size of your casserole dish. There are also a lot of onions here, but come to think of it, leeks would be perfect here in place of onions.
My favorite part about these scalloped potatoes, however, is all the cheese and bacon. I’ve told you many times before that bacon makes the world go round, but bacon and cheese together, well can you think of anything better? As far as the cheese goes, I used an assortment of cheeses. I actually found an Italian mix of cheeses, already shredded that includes all the cheeses mentioned in the recipe, but if you can’t find it, I listed them all there. Of course you don’t have to use those exact cheeses, you can use whatever you prefer, maybe just mozzarella, or maybe mix mozzarella with some gruyere, whatever you prefer.
After you bake this casserole, you’ll get a really nice crust on top made up of cheese and bacon, have to say that’s my favorite and I could just eat the crust, if you know what I mean. When you first take the casserole out you’ll notice that there might be quite a bit of liquid in the dish, but let the casserole rest for 10 to 20 minutes, and the sweet potatoes will soak up all that liquid and all that’s left to do is eat!
Make the ultimate Thanksgiving spread with these scalloped potatoes and:
If you try this recipe, please let us know! Leave a comment, rate it and tag a photo #jocooks on Instagram so we can see it. I always love to see what you guys come up with!
Scalloped Sweet Potatoes
- 4 cups half and half *
- 1 tbsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/4 tsp pepper or to taste
- 1/4 cup chives chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 lb sweet potatoes peeled and sliced thinly
- 3 large onions sliced
- 10 oz Swiss cheese shredded
- 10 oz mozzarella cheese shredded
- 4 oz Parmesan cheese shredded
- 8 oz asiago cheese shredded
- 8 oz bacon chopped and fried
- Preheat your oven to 375 F degrees.
- In a large bowl, add the half and half, pumpkin pie spice, paprika, nutmeg, red pepper flakes, salt/pepper, chives, garlic and whisk well. Set aside.
- In another large bowl toss all the cheeses together.
- In a large casserole dish (I used a 12" x 10 1/2" x 2 1/4" casserole dish), start layering ingredients, we'll have 2 layers of each. Layer half of the sweet potatoes on the the bottom of the casserole dish, followed by half of the onion slices, half of the cheese spread evenly, half of the bacon, then ladle half of the half and half mixture over the casserole. Repeat layers with remaining ingredients.
- Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are fork tender. There will be some liquid in the casserole but as the casserole cools a bit, the potatoes will soak up all the liquid.
- Serve warm.
★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!