Since I was a little girl, this version of roasted potatoes with garlic sauce has been my favorite and it was such a popular side dish, I think we had these potatoes every Sunday for dinner. Pair this with a roasted chicken and you’ve got an awesome dinner. Just the thought of these potatoes and this delicious garlic sauce makes my mouth water.
Whenever people ask me about traditional Romanian cuisine, this garlic sauce is the first thing that pops in my mind because we really put it on everything. It’s perfect with any meat, and it’s just unbelievable on roasted potatoes. You can always smell this sauce on people as well, but if you’re all enjoying dinner together it no longer matters. Not to mention garlic is good for you. But trust me when I say the garlic sauce makes all the difference. These potatoes with the garlic sauce is a treat.
To make the garlic sauce you’ll need a mortar and pestle. Put the garlic and salt in a mortar and pestle and crush the garlic until it becomes a paste. Add the oil, parsley and water to the garlic and mix well. This is a good workout on your arms. 🙂
The way I roast my potatoes, makes them crispy on the outside and soft on the inside, they are just perfect. Not to mention they are so easy to make and pretty cheap too. Usually I use a baking dish that’s 9″ x 13″. No need to butter it or anything because we’ll add olive oil on the potatoes. So start by preheating your oven to 400 F degrees. Peel and clean the potatoes then cut them into wedges. Place the potatoes wedges in the baking dish. Season with salt and pepper and pour the olive oil over them and toss well so that each wedge is fully coated. Garnish with some fresh chopped parsley for some nice color.
Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 45 minutes. After 45 minutes, remove the aluminum foil and bake uncovered for another 30 minutes or until the wedges are nice and crispy and golden brown.
After you remove them from the oven, transfer them to a big plate and pour the garlic sauce over. You will love them. 🙂
- 1 head of garlic
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- ¼ cup of cold water
- 1 tsp chopped parsley
- 6 large potatoes, peeled and cleaned
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- parsley for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 F degrees.
- Put the garlic and salt in a mortar and pestle and crush the garlic until it becomes a paste. Add the oil, parsley and water to the garlic and mix well. Set aside.
- Cut up the potatoes into wedges. In a baking dish add the potatoes, season with salt and pepper and toss them in the olive oil. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 45 minutes covered. After 45 minutes remove the aluminum foil and bake for another 30 minutes until they turn crispy and golden brown.
- Pour garlic sauce over the hot potatoes and serve.