Last updated on April 16th, 2017 at 02:18 pm
Fajita Potato Bites – potato slices baked to a crisp perfection, topped with sour cream, caramelized onions and peppers and topped with salsa. Yum!
Happy New Year!
It’s a new year, new resolutions, and of course my all time favorite resolution, ahem, eat healthier, less sugar, be more active, yadda yadda yadda. I have to say that’s the same as every single year. Well one thing’s for sure, I always start right, and this year is no exception. Woke up this morning kind of late, but I woke up with a purpose. And that was to go downstairs to my beautiful treadmill, which we bought a couple years ago and did not get much use out of it, yet. But before that I had to put on my fitbit. If you don’t already own one, I strongly recommend you get one, it’s the best. I got mine through work a couple years ago when we had a step challenge at work and I simply love it. It records your steps, calories burned, and the app is great too, you can track your food intake, it tells you how many calories you have left in a day to eat, etc. The great thing about it is you can challenge your friends and family and motivate each other to walk more.
Yes it all sounds great, and like I said I always start the year right, but doesn’t last until the year is over. But I always say this year is different. So let’s see. I did go to the basement and walked on the treadmill while watching Mission Impossible, the very first one from 1996, when Tom Cruise was really young and cute, and I walked my 10000 steps. YAY for me. Loved it, and I felt so good afterwards. Considering I’m still getting over my bronchitis, I was very proud of myself.
So now I have a great snack for you which is really healthy, meatless, and super easy to make. The potato slices are baked to a crisp, then topped with sour cream, caramelized onions and peppers, salsa and green onions, bringing you to only 200 calories per serving, low in cholesterol and high in fiber. But the great thing about these puppies, is that one of those potato slices pack so much flavor, you won’t believe it. They’re crunchy from the crispy potatoes, spicy from the salsa, and if you love fajitas, you will love the caramelized onions and peppers. I think this makes the perfect healthy snack or appetizer. You get about 5 or 6 slices per serving, so it’s quite a bit and satisfying. I just love this because you can get so much flavor without adding cheese or meat. So eat and enjoy!
If you guys love this recipe, and most importantly make it yourselves, please let us know. Take a picture and tag it #jocooks on Instagram so we can see it. I always love to see what you guys come up with!
Fajita Potato Bites
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 medium Russet potatoes
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 medium onion julienned
- 1 red bell pepper julienned
- 1 yellow bell pepper julienned
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 3 green onions
- 1 tbsp fajita mix
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 F degrees. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Wash the potatoes and cut the end off. Slice the potatoes into slice that are about 1/4 inch (7mm) in thickness. Season potatoes with salt and pepper. Bake for 20 minutes, turn the slices over and bake for another 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add onions and cook until it's slightly translucent. Add the peppers and the fajita mix and toss. Cook until peppers onion is golden brown and peppers are cooked.
- To assemble top each potato slice with a tsp or so of sour cream, followed by the onion and pepper mixture, salsa, and green onions. Season with salt and pepper.