This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Blue Cheese Burgers with Crispy Fried Onion – These incredible burgers are topped with tangy, creamy, melty blue cheese and crispy onions fried in butter. It’s so easy to make this classic comfort food gourmet!
Blue cheese burgers
Is your mouth watering yet just reading that title? I know mine is! I do love a classic burger loaded up with cheddar cheese, pickles, and ketchup, but sometimes I just need to scratch that gourmet itch. These burgers, while super easy to make, will do just that for you.
It really doesn’t take many extra steps to take a regular run-of-the-mill burger and turn it into something incredible. Just a few substitutions like the blue cheese, arugula, and crisping up those onions make a world of difference.
Just look at this! There isn’t much off from a regular burger here in this ingredient list. It’s all about the small tweaks that make this recipe really special.
Keep scrolling down to the recipe card for full ingredient amounts and instructions, or click the Jump To Recipe button at the top.
- Butter – You can use oil, such as olive oil, instead.
- Onion – I find that white onions work best for this recipe, but you can use red or yellow.
- Salt & pepper – Season to taste.
- Burger patties – You can use homemade, or any of your favorite store bought patties.
- Blue cheese – I found sliced blue cheese that worked perfectly for burgers. You can also use crumbled.
- Burger buns – Any type of buns you like best will work.
- Mustard – I used sweet and spicy mustard for my burgers.
- Arugula – Kale, iceberg, romaine, or butter lettuce are also great options.
- Tomato – I find that beefsteak are the best tomatoes for burgers.
How to make your own burger patty
Want to make patties from scratch? It really can be as easy as mixing ground beef with salt and pepper, shaping the beef into patties, and tossing them onto the grill.
You can also spice up your burgers with lots of great flavors. Give these ideas a try:
- Minced or powdered garlic or onion
- Spices like chili powder, seasoning salt, smoked paprika, curry powder, etc.
- Fresh or dried herbs
How to make blue cheese burgers with crispy fried onion
- Make the crispy onions: Preheat your grill over high heat. In the meantime, melt the butter over medium high heat. Add the onions, season with salt and pepper, and cook them until they’re crispy, stirring occasionally.
- Cook the patties: Place the patties on the pre-heated grill. Season each side with salt and pepper. Cook for about 5 minutes per side, or until cooked through. Lay a slice of blue cheese on each patty for the last 2 minutes of cooking.
- Assemble the burgers: Spread mustard over the bun. Top with arugula, the burger patty, tomato, crispy onions, then the top bun.
What else can I put on my burgers?
Everyone has their very own burger preference. You can dress these up however you like! If you’re serving these to guests, you can also make a station with prepped ingredients to let your guests do whatever they like for their burgers.
- Kale, iceberg or romaine lettuce
- Other condiments such as ketchup, mayo, hot sauce.
- Sliced avocado
How to serve
- Tex Mex Potato Salad
- Creamy Cucumber Salad
- Garlic Herb Red Potato Salad
- Avocado Tomato Salad
- Broccoli Salad
- Deviled Egg Macaroni Salad
- Greek Pasta Salad or Regular Greek Salad
- Loaded Pub Fries
- Mexican Street Corn Salad
- Baked Zucchini Chips
How to Store Leftover Blue Cheese Burgers
Leftovers are best stored separate. Leave assembly for when you’re ready to enjoy your burgers! The arugula, tomatoes, arugula, and buns are best fresh. The patties will be good for 3-4 days in an airtight container in the fridge.
To reheat, you can pop the patties in the microwave at 30 second intervals until they’re heated through. You can also place them in a skillet, covered, over medium heat until they’re warm.
For the onions, you can honestly enjoy these on your burger cold! If you prefer them hot, you can definitely reheat them in the microwave or in a skillet. I would suggest lining your plate with paper towel to microwave them. This will keep them as crisp as possible.
Did You Love This Recipe? Try These!
- Greek Lamb Burgers
- Burgers with Guacamole
- Pulled Pork Sandwiches
- Chicken Salad Sandwiches
- Hawaiian Ham and Cheese Stromboli
- Godfather Meatball Sub
- The Best Homemade Burgers
Looking for more recipes? Follow on…
Blue Cheese Burgers with Crispy Fried Onion
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- 1 tsp pepper or to taste
- 2 onions sliced
- 4 burger buns
- 4 burger patties
- 4 blue cheese slices
- 2 large tomatoes sliced
- baby arugula or baby kale
- 4 tbsp sweet and spicy mustard
- Prepare your grill for cooking over high direct heat.
- In a large skillet melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add onions, season with 1/2 tsp each salt and pepper, then cook until crispy.
- Make sure the grill is cleaned and hot before laying down the patties. You might also want to oil the grill first.
- Season the burger patties with remaining salt and pepper. Add the patties to the grill and cook for about 5 minutes per side. DO NOT press on the patties while cooking.
- Lay a slice of blue cheese over each patty for the last 2 minutes of cooking. If you want to grill your burgers buns, add them to the grill now and don't leave them more than 30 seconds.
- Remove everything from grill and assemble the burgers. Spread 1 tbsp of mustard on the bun. Top with some baby arugula or kale, lay the burger patty, tomato slices, crispy onions and top bun.
- Leftovers are best stored separate. Leave assembly for when you’re ready to enjoy your burgers! The arugula, tomatoes, arugula, and buns are best fresh. The patties will be good for 3-4 days in an airtight container in the fridge.
- To reheat, you can pop the patties in the microwave at 30 second intervals until they’re heated through. You can also place them in a skillet, covered, over medium heat until they’re warm.
- For the onions, you can honestly enjoy these on your burger cold! If you prefer them hot, you can definitely reheat them in the microwave or in a skillet. I would suggest lining your plate with paper towel to microwave them. This will keep them as crisp as possible.
- Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on products used.