Blue Cheese and Crispy Fried Onion Burgers – these incredible burgers with tangy and creamy blue cheese and crispy fried onions are perfect for your weekend barbecue.
During the past week I’ve taken a break from the kitchen. I told you I hurt my back and I just didn’t do much cooking, nor could I be bothered. Luckily I have hubs who is the best whenever I’m sick and waits on me hand and foot, and guilty though I should feel, I milk it for as long as I can.
As soon as I started feeling better I went full steam ahead and did some cooking. Among those things are these fabulous burgers, though this isn’t so much cooking as it is grilling. But I couldn’t help myself. I’ve been craving burgers for a few days now and I just did not want crappy fast food. So on my trip to my local grocery store I happened to see these blue cheese slices and I knew it then, blue cheese burgers were on the menu.
However, I did have a faux pas in the kitchen. I was actually going for caramelized onions to put on the burgers, but as I was doing a gazillion things at once, I forgot about the onions on the stove and burned them a bit, so crispy onions it was. But you know sometimes the best things to eat happen from accidents. And that’s what happened here. These onions were amazing, crispy and delicious. When hubs came in the kitchen and saw the onions he started eating them on their own, of course I had to put my foot down and stop him as I had other plans for those onions. He left me a few.
Now this is how I like to eat my burger, all loaded up with goodies. This is how a burger should be, it should make you drool and make you want to sink your teeth into it. So since it’s grilling season, have at it, go make it. NOW!
If you guys love this recipe, and most importantly make it yourselves, please let us know. Take a picture and tag it #jocooks on Instagram so we can see it. I always love to see what you guys come up with!
Looking for more recipes? Follow on...
Blue Cheese and Crispy Fried Onion Burgers
- 4 burger buns
- 4 burger patties
- 4 blue cheese slices
- 2 large tomatoes sliced
- baby arugula or baby kale
- 2 onions sliced
- 2 tbsp butter
- 4 tbsp sweet and spicy mustard
- salt and peppers to taste
- Prepare your grill for cooking over high direct heat.
- In a large skillet melt the butter over high heat. Add onions and cook until crispy. Season with salt and pepper.
- Make sure the grill is cleaned and hot before laying down the patties. You might also want to oil the grill first.
- Season the burger patties with salt and pepper. Add the patties to the grill and cook for about 5 minutes per side. DO NOT press on the patties while cooking.
- minutes before patties are done cooking, lay a slice of blue cheese over each patty. If you want to grill your burgers buns, add them to the grill now and don't leave them more than 30 seconds.
- Remove everything from grill and assemble the burgers. Spread 1 tbsp of mustard on the bottom side of the bun. Top with some baby arugula or kale, lay the burger patty, tomato slices, crispy onions and top bun.